Radius of curvature R of alpha particle beam

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the equation r=mv/qb to solve for the answer of 7.6e-4 m. The individual asking the question initially gets a different answer of 15.18e-4m, but realizes that they forgot to multiply the charge of the alpha particle by 2. They also clarify that the charge of an alpha particle is twice the magnitude of the charge of an electron. The conversation highlights the importance of using the correct values for q when using the equation.
asdf12312

Homework Statement

test.jpg

Homework Equations

r=mv/qb
mv=sqrt(2*KE*m(alpha))
m(alpha)=6.64e-27 kg

The Attempt at a Solution

i was just wondering how to get the answer (7.6e-4 m). i get path curving down, and do
r=sqrt(2*1e3eV*6.64e-27kg*1.6e-19J/eV)/(q*B)
=15.18e-4m

so to get the right answer i would have to divide this by 2..why is this?? i used the right equation but am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you use for the charge of the alpha particle?

charge of alpha particle is +2. so if its only alpha particle I have to divide by 2? if it was electron (-1) I would not need to divide by anything??

You didn't show what number you used for q. It should be in Coulombs. What is the charge in Coulombs of an alpha particle?

I'm guessing its +2 times charge of electron. q=1.6e-19C

asdf12312 said:
I'm guessing its +2 times charge of electron. q=1.6e-19C

Right. An alpha particle has a charge q of twice the magnitude of the charge of an electron.

But, the magnitude of the charge on an electron is 1.6 x 10-19 C.

So, if q is 2 times the magnitude of the charge on an electron, then q ≠ 1.6 x 10-19 C

What value did you use for q when you got the wrong result of 15.18 x 10-4 m?

I was using q=1.6e-19C for electron. I guess it should've been 3.2e-19C but I forgot to multiply by the +2 charge. thanks.

Good. When using r = mv/qB, q is the charge of the particle that is moving in the magnetic field.

1. What is the definition of radius of curvature R of alpha particle beam?

The radius of curvature R of an alpha particle beam refers to the measure of the curvature of the path followed by the alpha particles as they travel through a magnetic field.

2. How is the radius of curvature R of alpha particle beam calculated?

The radius of curvature R can be calculated using the equation R = mv/qB, where m is the mass of the alpha particle, v is its velocity, q is its charge, and B is the magnetic field strength.

3. How does the radius of curvature R of alpha particle beam relate to the strength of the magnetic field?

The radius of curvature R is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field B. This means that as the magnetic field increases, the radius of curvature also increases.

4. What factors affect the radius of curvature R of alpha particle beam?

The radius of curvature R is affected by the mass and charge of the alpha particle, as well as the strength of the magnetic field and the velocity of the particle.

5. Why is the radius of curvature R of alpha particle beam important?

The radius of curvature R is important because it allows scientists to study the properties of alpha particles and understand the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field. It is also used in various experiments and technologies, such as particle accelerators and mass spectrometry.