1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radius of curvature R of alpha particle beam

1. May 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

test.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    r=mv/qb
    mv=sqrt(2*KE*m(alpha))
    m(alpha)=6.64e-27 kg

3. The attempt at a solution
    i was just wondering how to get the answer (7.6e-4 m). i get path curving down, and do
    r=sqrt(2*1e3eV*6.64e-27kg*1.6e-19J/eV)/(q*B)
    =15.18e-4m

so to get the right answer i would have to divide this by 2..why is this?? i used the right equation but am I doing something wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What did you use for the charge of the alpha particle?

4. May 5, 2014 #3
    charge of alpha particle is +2. so if its only alpha particle I have to divide by 2? if it was electron (-1) I would not need to divide by anything??

5. May 5, 2014 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You didn't show what number you used for q. It should be in Coulombs. What is the charge in Coulombs of an alpha particle?

6. May 5, 2014 #5
    I'm guessing its +2 times charge of electron. q=1.6e-19C

7. May 6, 2014 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right. An alpha particle has a charge q of twice the magnitude of the charge of an electron.

But, the magnitude of the charge on an electron is 1.6 x 10-19 C.

So, if q is 2 times the magnitude of the charge on an electron, then q ≠ 1.6 x 10-19 C

What value did you use for q when you got the wrong result of 15.18 x 10-4 m?

8. May 6, 2014 #7
    I was using q=1.6e-19C for electron. I guess it should've been 3.2e-19C but I forgot to multiply by the +2 charge. thanks.

9. May 6, 2014 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good. When using r = mv/qB, q is the charge of the particle that is moving in the magnetic field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted