1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Rainman Revisited (rapid mental math)

1. Feb 6, 2017 #1
    In the movie Rainman the autistic savant played by Dustin Hoffman performs a calculation of the square root of 2130 . In less than a second he gives the answer 46.15192304.
    Do savants really do this at this speed to 8 decimal places? I was looking thru the internet to see video evidence of speedy calculations by savants , but couldn't find any.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

They can get 5 to 6 digits very fast. Usually the problems ask for integers and roots where the last integer doesn't need calculations, for a total of 7 digits in the answer, this does not work here. 10 digits would surprise me.
    Movies don't have to be very realistic.

4. Feb 6, 2017 #3
  5. Feb 6, 2017 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

6. Feb 6, 2017 #5
    I saw the Daniel Trammet video where he talks about synesthesia, but I did not see him do any calculations. I am looking for a video of an autistic person taking a square root of a 4 digit number or multiplying two four digit numbers.

7. Feb 6, 2017 #6
    Have you seen this one?

It's 45 minutes long and I haven't watched the whole thing, so I don't know if it has what you are looking for.

-Dave K

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted