Rainman Revisited (rapid mental math)

• B
  • Thread starter Thecla
  • Start date
In summary, the movie Rainman features an autistic savant, played by Dustin Hoffman, who is able to quickly calculate the square root of 2130 to 8 decimal places. However, there is no video evidence of savants being able to perform calculations at this speed, with most being able to calculate 5 to 6 digits quickly. The Trachtenberg system and chisanbop math are both methods that can help people perform speedy calculations. There is also a real-life case of an autistic savant named Daniel Tammet who is able to solve problems in the blink of an eye and is an advocate for researching the abilities of people with brains like his. While there are videos of Tammet discussing his abilities, there are no
Thecla
In the movie Rainman the autistic savant played by Dustin Hoffman performs a calculation of the square root of 2130 . In less than a second he gives the answer 46.15192304.
Do savants really do this at this speed to 8 decimal places? I was looking thru the internet to see video evidence of speedy calculations by savants , but couldn't find any.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
They can get 5 to 6 digits very fast. Usually the problems ask for integers and roots where the last integer doesn't need calculations, for a total of 7 digits in the answer, this does not work here. 10 digits would surprise me.
Movies don't have to be very realistic.

I saw the Daniel Trammet video where he talks about synesthesia, but I did not see him do any calculations. I am looking for a video of an autistic person taking a square root of a 4 digit number or multiplying two four digit numbers.

Thecla said:
I saw the Daniel Trammet video where he talks about synesthesia, but I did not see him do any calculations. I am looking for a video of an autistic person taking a square root of a 4 digit number or multiplying two four digit numbers.

Have you seen this one?

It's 45 minutes long and I haven't watched the whole thing, so I don't know if it has what you are looking for.

-Dave K

Likes OmCheeto

1. What is Rainman Revisited (rapid mental math)?

Rainman Revisited is a technique that utilizes rapid mental math to quickly perform mathematical calculations without the use of a calculator or written methods. It is based on the techniques used by the fictional character Raymond Babbitt in the movie "Rainman".

2. How does Rainman Revisited work?

Rainman Revisited involves breaking down complex calculations into smaller, easier steps that can be solved mentally. It also utilizes techniques such as visualizing numbers and using patterns to quickly perform calculations. With practice, individuals can improve their mental math skills and perform calculations at lightning speed.

3. Can anyone learn Rainman Revisited?

Yes, anyone can learn Rainman Revisited with practice and dedication. It may come easier to some individuals, but with consistent practice, anyone can improve their mental math abilities and use the technique to perform rapid calculations.

4. Are there any benefits to learning Rainman Revisited?

There are several benefits to learning Rainman Revisited. It can improve mental math skills, which can be useful in daily life and in various professions such as finance, engineering, and science. It can also boost confidence and improve problem-solving abilities.

5. Are there any downsides to using Rainman Revisited?

Some people may argue that relying too heavily on Rainman Revisited can hinder one's ability to use traditional mathematical methods or may not be applicable in every mathematical situation. However, when used in combination with other methods, it can be a powerful tool for performing calculations quickly and accurately.