Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Rainman Revisited (rapid mental math)

1. Feb 6, 2017 #1
    In the movie Rainman the autistic savant played by Dustin Hoffman performs a calculation of the square root of 2130 . In less than a second he gives the answer 46.15192304.
    Do savants really do this at this speed to 8 decimal places? I was looking thru the internet to see video evidence of speedy calculations by savants , but couldn't find any.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

They can get 5 to 6 digits very fast. Usually the problems ask for integers and roots where the last integer doesn't need calculations, for a total of 7 digits in the answer, this does not work here. 10 digits would surprise me.
    Movies don't have to be very realistic.

4. Feb 6, 2017 #3
  5. Feb 6, 2017 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

6. Feb 6, 2017 #5
    I saw the Daniel Trammet video where he talks about synesthesia, but I did not see him do any calculations. I am looking for a video of an autistic person taking a square root of a 4 digit number or multiplying two four digit numbers.

7. Feb 6, 2017 #6
    Have you seen this one?

It's 45 minutes long and I haven't watched the whole thing, so I don't know if it has what you are looking for.

-Dave K

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted