Rainy Day Blues: Wish for Sun to Shine Again

  • Thread starter Thread starter wolram
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rain
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
22 replies · 5K views
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Messages
4,411
Reaction score
552
It started at 6 this morning it is now 2 in the afternoon and the heavy rain
has not stopped, in all the days i have been alive i have never seen any thing like it, even my raised weed bed has been washed away.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I just tried to visit my folks, all ways out of my village are flooded, water is spewing out of drains, fields are now lakes
 
i hate rains :((
and specially those pesky crawling earthworms.. eeeeeeeeewww
 
wolram said:
even my raised weed bed has been washed away.
:frown: Poor weeds.
 
Evo said:
:frown: Poor weeds.

The people next door to me do not even have a front garden any more, the
rain has took about a foot of top soil away, i did try to get to work but getting through three floods was enough, at least i have a nice clean car now
:smile:
 
It did (go away) today at Lord's today.

Edit: It did today here in Saint John, too, but there is still a thick fog through which it's hard to see a 100 metres, but this is quite common in Saint John. A common saying here is "You can't see the clouds for the fog."
 
Last edited:
George Jones said:
It did (go away) today at Lord's today.

Edit: It did today here in Saint John, too, but there is still a thick fog through which it's hard to see a 100 metres, but this is quite common in Saint John. A common saying here is "You can't see the clouds for the fog."

:smile:

Some pics.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6909198.stm
 
Evo said:
That's a lot of water Wolram.


Sure is, it is the first time in recoded history that whales have been sighted in Bishops brook.
 
moose said:
I want rain! GRRRR

Me too! It's +40 here these days! :bugeye:
 
radou said:
Me too! It's +40 here these days! :bugeye:

Where are you radou ?
 
I live in a desert. Averages four inches of precipitation a year. And we've been having a drought for a few years.

I want some rain. :(
 
i saw the footage of floods on TV today. its horrible. water, water everywhere
 
Yeah, I saw the footage on TV this morning too, but since I was watching the local news, it wasn't very informative. They make it sound like all of England is under water. From those who are either there or have found more reliable news sources on this...what parts are flooded, and how extensive is it?
 
Well, it's definitely not all of England that is under water! The main flooding is in Gloucester and Tewkesbury (where I'm just hearing now that there are 7 000 people stranded). There's also a large risk of the Thames overflowing and affecting Oxford-- so much so that they're opening a football stadium for potential refugees. Anyway, here is the BBC's latest news page on the flooding and here is a page showing photos from various areas.

I also heard on the news this morning that supermarkets in affected areas sold out of water early this morning, and then found people making money out of selling the said bottles outside the store for something like a 1000% mark-up :rolleyes:

Luckily, I live very close to a largeish city, and not close to any overflowing rivers, so I should be fine, but I really feel for people living in other affected areas.
 
Last edited:
Moonbear said:
Yeah, I saw the footage on TV this morning too, but since I was watching the local news, it wasn't very informative. They make it sound like all of England is under water. From those who are either there or have found more reliable news sources on this...what parts are flooded, and how extensive is it?

Even though they are not flooded now the flash floods damaged many properties, several in the small town i work in, a co workers house may not be habitable for a month or more, the water came down so fast the ground just could not soak it up.
 
I was sorry to hear of all the water problems. They showed some really good rescues on the TV tonight, with some very brave older folks being hoisted into the air.
 
Yes, I saw some videos this morning. It looked bad enough, but they said it will get worse before it gets better. :frown:
 
I don't know what it's like where anyone else is today, but here it's actually stopped raining and the sun's come out! Let's hope the rain holds off for a while.
 
YAYYY! Yesterday the rain here was so hardcore. I hope it rains again today...