1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Raising and lowering operators of the Hamiltonian

1. May 8, 2014 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a) The operators ##a## and ##a^{\dagger}## satisfy the commutation relation ##[a,a^{\dagger}] = 1##. Find the normalization of the state ##|\psi \rangle = C (a^{\dagger} )^2 |0\rangle##, where the vacuum state ##|0\rangle## is such that ##a|0\rangle = 0##

b)A one dimensional simple harmonic oscillator has the Hamiltonian $$\hat{H} = \frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m} + \frac{1}{2}mw^2 \hat{x}^2.$$ The operator ##\hat{a}## is defined as $$\hat{a} = \left(\frac{mw}{2\hbar}\right)^{1/2}\hat{x} + \frac{i}{\sqrt{2mw\hbar}} \hat{p}$$

Suppose that the oscillator frequency is changed slightly to ##w \rightarrow \sqrt{1+\epsilon} w## What are the exact new energy eigenvalues? Now calculate the first order perturbation in the energy and compare with the exact answer.
    2. Relevant equations
    In a), perhaps that ##a|n\rangle = \sqrt{n}|n-1\rangle## and that ##a^{\dagger} |n\rangle = \sqrt{n+1} |n+1\rangle##

3. The attempt at a solution
    In a), write out the commutator explicitly ##aa^{\dagger} - a^{\dagger}a = 1##. Now I tried various manipulations of this equation to get something that resembled the equation given. Multiply by ##(a^{\dagger})^2## on the left and ##|0\rangle## on the right would give ##(a^{\dagger})^2 a a^{\dagger} |0\rangle - (a^{\dagger})^3 a|0\rangle = (a^{\dagger})^2 |0\rangle.## But this simplifies to LHS=RHS, so it is of no use.

b)New energy eigenvalues would be ##E_n = \hbar (\sqrt{1+\epsilon} w) (n+1/2)## and the shift is ##E' = \langle n | \hat{H'} | n\rangle## where ##\hat{H'}## is the Hamiltonian above but with ##w## replaced with ##\sqrt{1+\epsilon}w## Do we treat ##\epsilon## as a constant here?

Many thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2014 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For a), just compute the vector itself, a†|0> = √0+1 |1> = |1>, etc.

4. May 9, 2014 #3

CAF123

Gold Member

Applying a† again would give √2 |2>, not some constant premultiplying the state |0>. So I think somehow we have to incorporate the commutation relation given, which I tried to do in the OP.

5. May 9, 2014 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try using ##\|C(a^\dagger)^2\vert 0 \rangle\|^2=1##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted