Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Ralph Nader's Only the Super-Rich Can Save Us

1. Sep 9, 2010 #1
    Ralph Nader's “Only the Super-Rich Can Save Us”

Ralph Nader's “Only the Super-Rich Can Save Us” is his recent book.

THE BOOK : it is described as a "fictional vision", a "practical utopia."

Read the good reviews: NEWS RELEASE

Ralph Nader asks:

Youtube video "ONLY THE SUPER-RICH CAN SAVE US"

I noticed that Ralph Nader is saying nice things about the kind of people (the billionaires) you'd expect him to despise.

I'm disapointed with Ralph Nader.

Please share your thoughts.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2010 #2
    Re: Ralph Nader's “Only the Super-Rich Can Save Us”

I think that Nader should have retired from public life after reforming the auto industry. He and Jimmy Carter seem to have spoiled with age.

4. Sep 10, 2010 #3

lol, "after reforming the auto industry" .....not quite :rofl:

5. Sep 10, 2010 #4

Just to be clear, I was being deeply sarcastic, and the reference to spoilage has to do with "peanut" references with Carter. I'm not a fan of either fellow, but to stick to the OP, lets just say I'm no fan of Ralph Nader.

6. Sep 10, 2010 #5

alright now, Carter ain't all bad. Habitat is a solid organization.

7. Sep 10, 2010 #6

Agreed, and I won't thread-jack with the issues I have against Carter. Nader has done some good things too, but there is a big element of "what have you done for me lately", and with Nader especially, "What have you DONE TO us lately" in regards to the 2000 election. Spin that however he wants, had he been absent from the ticket there is a better than even chance that W. would never have seen the presidency.

8. Sep 10, 2010 #7

Gotcha :wink:

9. Sep 10, 2010 #8

Good... I can imagine any engineer having palpitations when the "Nader brought us seat belts" argument is made. I don't want to kill members in good standing of PF with a misunderstanding. :smile:

10. Sep 10, 2010 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good heavens! I can scarcely remember when I last heard a Carter/peanut wisecrack. I think I may have been wearing feetie pajamas.

11. Sep 10, 2010 #10

Are you somehow insulting feetie pajamas? I WILL NOT STAND idly by and hear them slandered... but yeah, the "peanut farmer" thing is older than I am.

Well... not older, but.. oh hell, you young'uns these days, and whatnot! grumble grumble... :wink:

12. Sep 10, 2010 #11

He's asked some questions, and presented a hypothesis. But of course the super rich and powerful aren't going to campaign against the very conditions which allowed them to become super rich and powerful.

In a country which has, effectively, only one major political party (the 'Republican-Democtrat' party -- an "avaricious oligarchy" in Nader's words) which advocates primarily for the rights of big money interests, it isn't surprising that a man like Nader, who's spent his life advocating for the rights of the common people, is marginalized and ridiculed.

The US populace is generally complacent and apathetic wrt civic affairs. Nader's primary message is that positive, progressive change can be effected through mass movements. It isn't a popular message because it requires a bit of work.

13. Sep 10, 2010 #12

Life, and the irony of his role in 2000 has made him a marginal figure, deserving of mockery.

14. Sep 10, 2010 #13

:rolleyes: ross perot was a spoiler for clinton, too.

if anything gets me about nader, it's his being a child of privilege, only to go on to a career of pretending to be the champion of the common man.

15. Sep 10, 2010 #14

Ross Perot was a gift from god to comedians, who merely happened to be a spoiler. :biggrin: Your point about Nader is a good one, especially because he still thinks and acts with the limited vision of someone who hasn't seen beyond their privilege.

16. Sep 10, 2010 #15

Is this intended to be self-parody?

17. Sep 10, 2010 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep. There can be no forgiveness for his role in 2000. Look what it has cost us!

18. Sep 11, 2010 #17

Too true!

19. Sep 11, 2010 #18

democracy be damned!

20. Sep 12, 2010 #19

I agree that the 2000 presidential election was a mockery, but not because of Nader's participation.

I consider his life to be exemplary in many ways. Is there some evidence to the contrary?

In what way(s)? Example(s)?

Why you believe that?

His role was that he ran for president. Which was his right. What there can be no forgiveness for are the actions of the media and the major parties which effectively screened him out of any possible contention, and a Congress that shouldn't have acquiesced to the invasion of Iraq in the first place, and should have begun impeachment proceedings against Bush et al. when that administration's deceit and questionable practices became evident. But instead of focusing on that (or the fact that the Democrats could have won the election had they mobilized even a tiny percentage of the tens of millions of potential voters who chose not to vote -- not that things would have been significantly different if the Dems had won), people, predictably, and nonsensically, point at Nader's candidacy.

Anyway, for those who want to take the position that Nader's candidacy was the primary factor determining Bush's election, then how many votes did Nader take away from Gore, how many from Bush, and how do you know?

Is there something you wanted say about Nader, or his latest 'literary' offering?

21. Sep 12, 2010 #20

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But had Gore won his *own state*, he'd have won the election. He just rand a lousy campaign, Nader was the final straw.

22. Sep 12, 2010 #21

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, but Nader knew he could throw the election to Bush. He knowingly helped that ******** to win.

Were he really the public servant he claims to be, he would have thrown his support behind Gore. The only plus: Were it not for eight years of Bush Jr., Obama may have never been elected. So in a way, we have Nader to thank for Obama. Of course, it was two wars and a collapsed economy later that we finally got Obama... What do they say about closing the bard door after the horses already got out?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  23. Sep 12, 2010 #22

Thanks Thomas,

I'd like us to focus on the messages and the intentions of Ralph Nader's book "Only the Super-Rich Can Save Us."

Does he think he's still an electable candidate?

In his book -- I've only read the book reviews -- he talks about the "Meliorists".
    So I searched on the web for a clear definition:

Meliorism

Meliorism (politics)

But, I'm still not sure what Nader is referring to.

Here's a review of the book in the Wall Street Journal

And, Bitterly Books is undertaking a chapter-by-chapter review of Ralph Nader's work

24. Sep 12, 2010 #23

Yeah, and ask me how I feel about Al Gore, but being a "final straw" is still part of the problem! I don't care what role it played; as has been mentioned before he stood on principle to the detriment of the entire country (and arguably world) for 8 years. Al Gore should also be kneecapped, but this isn't an Al Gore thread.

ThomasT: After 2000, he ran again... I'd call that limited vision given his role in 2000. Beyond that, how do you figure that his life has been exemplary?

25. Sep 12, 2010 #24
  26. Sep 12, 2010 #25

oh, and the assault on Wal-Mart is priceless, given this:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-07-15/the-liberal-sweatshop/?cid=hp:mainpromo6

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook