Raman and X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy

In summary: This is vague.1. Do you see differences in the spectra?2. More importantly, do you see extra peaks in the spectra that weren't there for the clean Zn surface?3. Don't you have charts or software that can make identification of those peaks?4. Do you see shifts in the original Zn peaks?5. What in the world is your thesis advisor doing that you can't seek help from him/her?
marielescobal
TL;DR Summary
How can I know the effects of ions on my coating using Raman and XPS?
Summary: How can I know the effects of ions on my coating using Raman and XPS?

Hi!
So I'm working on my thesis regarding surface morphology of Zn doped HAp coating. Now, my goal is to know the effects of Zn ions on the surface morphology of my coating using raman and xps. Jowever, I do not have any idea as to how I can possibly do this. I am really desperate to find answers, please help. I have zero background on this and I can't seem to find academic articles that can help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
marielescobal said:
Summary: How can I know the effects of ions on my coating using Raman and XPS?

Hi!
So I'm working on my thesis regarding surface morphology of Zn doped HAp coating. Now, my goal is to know the effects of Zn ions on the surface morphology of my coating using raman and xps. Jowever, I do not have any idea as to how I can possibly do this. I am really desperate to find answers, please help. I have zero background on this and I can't seem to find academic articles that can help me out.

Er... why can't you do Raman and XPS on CLEAN Zn first, then coat the surface, and then do Raman and XPS once again? Compare the two results and see what's different.

Zz.

Likes sophiecentaur
ZapperZ said:
Er... why can't you do Raman and XPS on CLEAN Zn first, then coat the surface, and then do Raman and XPS once again? Compare the two results and see what's different.

Zz.

Uhmm, yes, that process is done. However, that's where my problem comes, I don't know how to use the results to know the effects of my ions on the coating.

marielescobal said:
Uhmm, yes, that process is done. However, that's where my problem comes, I don't know how to use the results to know the effects of my ions on the coating.

This is vague.

1. Do you see differences in the spectra?

2. More importantly, do you see extra peaks in the spectra that weren't there for the clean Zn surface?

3. Don't you have charts or software that can make identification of those peaks?

4. Do you see shifts in the original Zn peaks?

5. What in the world is your thesis advisor doing that you can't seek help from him/her?

Zz.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between Raman and X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy?

Raman spectroscopy measures the vibrational energy levels of molecules, while X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy measures the binding energy levels of electrons in atoms.

2. How does Raman spectroscopy work?

Raman spectroscopy works by shining a laser onto a sample and measuring the scattered light. The energy of the scattered light is shifted due to interactions with the sample's molecules, providing information about their vibrational energy levels.

3. What information can be obtained from X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy?

X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy can provide information about the elemental composition, chemical state, and electronic structure of a sample's surface.

4. What are the main applications of Raman spectroscopy?

Raman spectroscopy is commonly used in materials science, pharmaceuticals, and forensics for identifying and characterizing molecules and compounds.

5. How is X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy used in the study of surfaces?

X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy is used to analyze the surface of a material by bombarding it with X-rays and measuring the energies of the emitted electrons. This can provide information about the composition and chemical state of the surface layer.