Rate of change from 0 to x 2x^2 + 3x

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
Rusho
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
2x^2 + 3x

I'm not really sure what to do with the "X"
Form: f(x) - f(c)/ x-c

-2(x)^2 +3(x) - (-2(0)^2 + 3 (0) / x-0

I get
= -2x^2 + 3x + 0 / x - 0

= -2x^2 + 3x / x

that doesn't seem right


I'm taking a break
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Rusho said:
2x^2 + 3x

I'm not really sure what to do with the "X"
Form: f(x) - f(c)/ x-c

-2(x)^2 +3(x) - (-2(0)^2 + 3 (0) / x-0

I get
= -2x^2 + 3x + 0 / x - 0

= -2x^2 + 3x / x

that doesn't seem right


I'm taking a break

You forgot to take the limit as x -> 0.

Personally, I've never been too keen on that form for the derivative. I think it's more transparent to use:
[tex]\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/tex]

That might show you a bit better what happens to everything.

-Dan
 
topsquark said:
You forgot to take the limit as x -> 0.

Personally, I've never been too keen on that form for the derivative. I think it's more transparent to use:
[tex]\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/tex]

That might show you a bit better what happens to everything.

-Dan
topsquark, you don't need to take the limit as x -> 0. The problem does not ask for the slope of the tangent line at x = 0. It just ask for the rate of change from 0 to x.
Rusho said:
I get
= -2x^2 + 3x + 0 / x - 0

= -2x^2 + 3x / x
There should be no minus sign in front of the 2x2, and you seem to be missing some parentheses. :)
It should read:
[tex]\frac{2x ^ 2 + 3x}{x}[/tex] or (2x ^ 2 + 3x) / x
Now, you can simplify that expression a little bit further, right?
Can you go from here? :)
 
Ok, so I just do this:

=2x^2 + 3x/x

=x(2x + 3) / x

=2x + 3
 
Last edited:
Well 0! = 1, so I don't think that would be a problem ;)
 
ksinclair13 said:
Well 0! = 1, so I don't think that would be a problem ;)
Err, I don't understand, why is factorial involved in here? :confused:
 
It was joke, son, a joke! (The ;) was a give-away)

ksinclair13, you can get the actual :wink: by typing ": w i n k :" without the spaces or by going to "advanced" and clicking on the icon.
 
Okay, thank you. :wink:

I always use the quick reply, but now I know how to do it with that as well :smile: