1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of oxygen consumption while sleeping

1. Oct 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data The oxygen taken in by the body reacts with fats, carbohydrates, and protein, liberating energy internally at a rate of about 2.180×104 J/L. If a 71.40 kg man requires 81.00 W of power even while sleeping, what is his rate of oxygen consumption?

2. Relevant equations p=fv
    f=mg

3. The attempt at a solution i found a value for v but iam not sure how the internal energy plays into the answer??? the value i got for v is wrong so iam not sure if i did the problem wrong or if it has to do with the other rate?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Show what you did and how yo got the (incorrect) value. It is not clear to me what should be the unit of your answer - L/min? mL/sec? Something else? These can be easily interconverted though.

81 W - how many J per second? How many liter of oxygen per this number of J?

4. Oct 9, 2012 #3
    i divided the power by force(mg) to find v but i see that i would need to cancel the jouls out. my answer can be in mL/sec....

5. Oct 9, 2012 #4

AGNuke

Gold Member

Is the answer is approximately 3.72 mL/sec?

6. Oct 10, 2012 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

That's off.

OK. Follow the reasoning from my previous post - have you at least tried to understand it?

7. Oct 10, 2012 #6
    oh i see the watt is equal to J/s and the initial rate in J/ml is 21.8 so i just divide to get ml/s. thanks

8. Jan 2, 2013 #7
    @Nuke done, i think you're right

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook