Ratio Question with 3 quantities

In summary: The 15 represents the number of workers, the 24 represents the number of days, and the 40 represents the increased number of workers. Therefore, the output will be in terms of days, as it is the unit for the number of days needed to complete the task.
zak100

Homework Statement

If 15 workers can pave 18 driveways in 24 days, how many days would it take 40 workers to pave 22 driveways

Homework Equations

Actually i don't know which equation should be used for 3 quantities. I know the eq for two quantities.
Because we increasing labours so we would require less days
Workers * days/ increased workers (i.e constant product eq)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find days using above eq:[/B]
15 * 24/40 = 9 days
For 18 drive ways we need 9 days
For 1 drive way , we would need 18/9 = 2 days
For 22 driveways, we would need 11 days.

Is there a simple method for solving the above problem.

Zulfi.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the work needed per driveway.

zak100 said:

Homework Statement

If 15 workers can pave 18 driveways in 24 days, how many days would it take 40 workers to pave 22 driveways

Homework Equations

Actually i don't know which equation should be used for 3 quantities. I know the eq for two quantities.
Because we increasing labours so we would require less days
Workers * days/ increased workers (i.e constant product eq)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find days using above eq:[/B]
15 * 24/40 = 9 days
For 18 drive ways we need 9 days
For 1 drive way , we would need 18/9 = 2 days
For 22 driveways, we would need 11 days.

Is there a simple method for solving the above problem.

Zulfi.

Your method is OK in this case. In general, however, it is helpful to introduce an algebraic symbol; for example, in this case you can let ##p## be the number of driveways paved per day for 1 worker. Thus, 15 workers can pave ##15p## driveways per day, or ## 15 p \times 24## driveways in 24 days.

Hi,
Can some body guide me why the output of following is in terms of days?
15 * 24/40 = 9 days
Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,
Can some body guide me why the output of following is in terms of days?
15 * 24/40 = 9 days
Zulfi.
What are the units for the three inputs, the 15, the 24 and the 40?

1. What is a ratio?

A ratio is a comparison of two or more quantities. It expresses the relationship between these quantities in terms of their relative sizes or amounts. Ratios can be written in different forms, such as using words, fractions, or using the colon (:) notation.

2. How do you solve a ratio question with 3 quantities?

To solve a ratio question with 3 quantities, you need to first identify the given quantities and understand the relationship between them. Then, you can set up a proportion equation by cross-multiplying the ratios and solve for the missing quantity. Remember to always simplify the final answer to its simplest form.

3. Can ratios be simplified?

Yes, ratios can be simplified just like fractions. To simplify a ratio, divide both sides of the ratio by their greatest common factor (GCF). This will result in an equivalent ratio with smaller numbers.

4. What is the unit of a ratio?

The unit of a ratio depends on the quantities being compared. For example, if the ratio is comparing length, the unit would be distance (such as meters or centimeters). If the ratio is comparing money, the unit would be currency (such as dollars or euros).

5. Why are ratios important in science?

Ratios are important in science because they allow us to compare and understand relationships between different quantities. They are used in various scientific fields, such as chemistry, physics, and biology, to express proportions, concentrations, and rates of change. Ratios also help scientists make predictions and analyze data in experiments.