Rational and Irrational Number Set proof.

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that if a is a rational number and t is an irrational number, then a+t and at are also irrational. The approach of proving by contradiction is mentioned, along with the fact that the sum and product of two irrational numbers cannot be determined to belong to any specific set of numbers. The conversation also clarifies that I is not standard notation and mentions a potential misunderstanding in the first set of problems.
linuxux
Hello, here is my problem:

how can i prove that if [tex]a\in\mathbf{Q}[/tex] and [tex]t\in\mathbf{I}[/tex], then [tex]a+t\in\mathbf{I}[/tex] and [tex]at\in\mathbf{I}[/tex]?

My original thought was to show that neither a+t or at can be belong to N, Z, or Q, thus they must belong to I. However I'm not certain if that train of thought is correct.

Also, i have a question that says given two irrational numbers s and t, what can be said about s+t and st.

My original thought he was that nothing can be shown, since it is possible to create numbers that belong to N, Z, Q, or I.

thanks for clarification.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The rational numbers are a field. Oh, and I is not standard notation, by the way.

As for the second one, then you can't say anythingabout s or t's rationality. Just construct some examples.

whoa, thanks, i would have never gotten that.

For a moment I thought you were trying to prove that the sum of a rational number and an integer was an integer!

The first set of problems are standard proofs by contradiction.

Suppose a is rational and t is irrational and at is rational and a+t is rational.

Since at is rational, at=m/n for appropriate integral m & n.

Then, t=m/na, which is rational. But t is irrational by our hypothesis. Therefore, at cannot be rational, hence it is irrational.

The proof for a+t is similar.

Last edited:

1. What is a rational number?

A rational number is any number that can be written as a ratio of two integers, where the denominator is not equal to 0.

2. What is an irrational number?

An irrational number is any number that cannot be written as a ratio of two integers. These numbers have decimal representations that neither terminate nor repeat.

3. How can we prove that a number is rational or irrational?

To prove that a number is rational, we can show that it can be written as a fraction. To prove that a number is irrational, we can use proof by contradiction, assuming that the number is rational and showing that it leads to a contradiction.

4. Can a number be both rational and irrational?

No, a number cannot be both rational and irrational. It is either one or the other.

5. Are all square roots irrational?

No, not all square roots are irrational. If the number inside the square root can be simplified to a perfect square, then the square root is rational.