Rational expressions and domains

And you cannot have a number divided by zero because it is undefined. So, the point at which a denominator equals zero is considered a singularity, and the function is undefined at that point.
PhyiscsisNeat

Homework Statement

Okay, I have two examples that are confusing me. I am not sure where all the numbers that must be excluded from the denominators so that we're not dividing by zero are coming from.

a) x2 + 6x +5 / x2 - 25
b) x-7 / x-1 multiplied by x2-1 / 3x-21

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

In a) I factor everything and get (x+5)(x+1) / (x+5)(x-5) and I am left with x+1 / x-5. I know that x cannot be 5, because 5-5=0 and division by zero is undefined. The text is saying that x cannot be -5 as well and I am confused. After factoring and before eliminating common factors, I have an x+5 where if x = -5, I would have 0...is that where the -5 is coming from? Do I consider all x values in the binomials before removing common factors?

In b) after factoring I am left with x-7 / x-1 multiplied by (x+1)(x-1) / 3(x-7). I canceled the x-7 terms and x-1 terms and I am left with x+1 / 3. The text is telling me that x cannot be 1, 7, which is confusing because I eliminated the common factors already.

I guess as I type this out it is making sense...I suppose at this point now that I have typed all this out I would like confirmation if someone could be so kind. It seems like all the x values to be excluded are taken from the binomials in the denominators before I eliminate common factors?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is the way it works.

You can understand why, if you calculate the result of (x2+6x+5)/(x2-25) if you put x=-5.

PhyiscsisNeat said:

Homework Statement

Okay, I have two examples that are confusing me. I am not sure where all the numbers that must be excluded from the denominators so that we're not dividing by zero are coming from.

a) x2 + 6x +5 / x2 - 25
b) x-7 / x-1 multiplied by x2-1 / 3x-21

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

In a) I factor everything and get (x+5)(x+1) / (x+5)(x-5) and I am left with x+1 / x-5. I know that x cannot be 5, because 5-5=0 and division by zero is undefined. The text is saying that x cannot be -5 as well and I am confused. After factoring and before eliminating common factors, I have an x+5 where if x = -5, I would have 0...is that where the -5 is coming from? Do I consider all x values in the binomials before removing common factors?

In b) after factoring I am left with x-7 / x-1 multiplied by (x+1)(x-1) / 3(x-7). I canceled the x-7 terms and x-1 terms and I am left with x+1 / 3. The text is telling me that x cannot be 1, 7, which is confusing because I eliminated the common factors already.

I guess as I type this out it is making sense...I suppose at this point now that I have typed all this out I would like confirmation if someone could be so kind. It seems like all the x values to be excluded are taken from the binomials in the denominators before I eliminate common factors?

In both (a) [##x^2 + 6x + \frac{5}{x^2} - 25##] and (b) [##x = \frac{7}{x} -1##] only the point ##x=0## is excluded. Or, maybe, you did not write what you actually meant, in which case you should re-write the expressions to say what you mean. The expression "a + b/c + d" means ##a + \frac{b}{c} + d## when parsed according to official math rules. If you mean ##\frac{a+b}{c+d}## then you need to either use LaTeX (as I have just done) or else use parentheses, like this" "(a+b)/(c+d)".

Likes scottdave
PhyiscsisNeat said:
In a) I factor everything and get (x+5)(x+1) / (x+5)(x-5) and I am left with x+1 / x-5.
PhyiscsisNeat said:
In b) after factoring I am left with x-7 / x-1 multiplied by (x+1)(x-1) / 3(x-7).
As Ray mentioned, you need more parentheses. In the first quote above, your first expression isn't correct, even with your use of parentheses. It would be interpreted as ##(x + 5) \frac{x+1}{x + 5} (x - 5)##, which is surely not what you meant. A better way to write it on one line would be [(x+5)(x+1)] / [(x+5)(x-5)], so now it's clear which factors are in the numerator and which are in the denominator. As alread mentioned, expressions like x + 1 / x -5 aren't the same as (x + 1)/(x - 5).
Same comments on the second quote.

Hey, thanks for the replies. Yes, everything was in parenthesis but I didn't write it like that in the post. I will do so in the future.

Another thing to take away from this: you cannot "cancel out" expressions which equal zero. You cannot have zero divided by zero

Likes SammyS and DoItForYourself

1. What are rational expressions?

Rational expressions are expressions that involve fractions with variables in the numerator and/or denominator. They are also known as algebraic fractions.

2. How do you simplify rational expressions?

To simplify rational expressions, factor both the numerator and denominator and then cancel out any common factors. If there are no common factors, then the expression is already in its simplified form.

3. What is the domain of a rational expression?

The domain of a rational expression is the set of all real numbers that make the expression defined. In other words, it is the set of values that can be substituted for the variable without resulting in an undefined expression.

4. How do you find the domain of a rational expression?

To find the domain of a rational expression, look for any values that would make the denominator equal to zero. These values are not allowed in the domain because they would result in an undefined expression. Additionally, if there are any restrictions on the variable given in the problem, those should also be considered when finding the domain.

5. Can a rational expression have a domain of all real numbers?

No, a rational expression cannot have a domain of all real numbers because there are certain values that would make the expression undefined. The domain of a rational expression is always a subset of the set of all real numbers.