Ray entering optical fiber at 51° incident angle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
longcatislong
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The figure below shows a ray of light entering one end of an optical fiber at an angle of incidence i = 51.0°. The index of refraction of the fiber is 2.05.

Diagram link: http://www.webassign.net/walker/26-55.gif

(a) Find the angle the ray makes with the normal when it reaches the curved surface of the fiber.

Homework Equations



Snell's Law: niSinThetai=ntSinThetat

The Attempt at a Solution



I found theta c (critical angle) to be 29.19 degrees, which correct as verified by my online homework. Then I tried answering part a using niSinThetai=NtSinThetat and got 22.27 degrees as my answer for part a). Online HW system says that's wrong.

Any help is much appreciated! Please tell me what I'm doing wrong and put me on the right track!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
22.27 degrees is the angle of refraction,θr. Determine θ.

ehild
 
Attachments
  • fiber.JPG
    fiber.JPG
    5.4 KB · Views: 760