Rayleigh and Extreme Value Distribution Type II (Fretech Distribution)

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for equations to estimate quantiles for Rayleigh, Extreme Value Type II (Frechet), and Weibull 2P distributions. The speaker has checked various sources but has only found information for Weibull 3P distribution. They are asking for recommendations on where to find these equations and have been given some guidance on how to approach the problem.
af_231
Hello!
I am looking for the equations to quantile estimation by Rayleigh, Extreme Value Type II Distributions (Frechet Distribution) and Weilbull 2P. I have checked several statistics books and web pages, trying to find those equations but haven't found anything. About Weibull Distribution, I found some information about quantile estimation for Weibull Distriution in the book by A. Ramachandra Rao, but the information is only on Weibull 3P.

Can anyone recommend me some book or web page where to find them?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
af_231 said:
Hello!
I am looking for the equations to quantile estimation by Rayleigh, Extreme Value Type II Distributions (Frechet Distribution) and Weilbull 2P. I have checked several statistics books and web pages, trying to find those equations but haven't found anything. About Weibull Distribution, I found some information about quantile estimation for Weibull Distriution in the book by A. Ramachandra Rao, but the information is only on Weibull 3P.

Can anyone recommend me some book or web page where to find them?

Thanks!

Hey af_231 and welcome to the forums.

What you are looking to do is basically find a solution to your PDF where your upper limit is what you want to solve for.

So say you want to find the 10% lower quantile. Basically you are solving the equation Integral f(x)dx from -infinity to a = 0.10 and you then solve for a.

Depending on the integral you could use either an analytic method or you may have to use a numeric method, but either way this procedure is used regardless of the distribution (i.e. any valid f(x) that satisifies Kolmogorov Axioms).

We can't really just give you the full answer here on PF because its against forum policy but if you have any further questions we will do our best to help you in the proper capacity.

1. What is the Rayleigh distribution and when is it used?

The Rayleigh distribution is a probability distribution commonly used in statistics to model the magnitude of a physical quantity. It is often used to model the distribution of wind speeds, wave heights, and other natural phenomena. The distribution is characterized by a single parameter, the scale parameter, which determines the shape and spread of the distribution.

2. What is the Extreme Value Distribution Type II and when is it used?

The Extreme Value Distribution Type II, also known as the Frechet distribution, is a probability distribution commonly used in extreme value analysis. It is used to model the probability of extreme events, such as floods, earthquakes, and stock market crashes. The distribution is characterized by two parameters, the location parameter and the shape parameter, which determine the location and shape of the distribution.

3. How are the Rayleigh and Extreme Value Distribution Type II related?

The Rayleigh distribution is a special case of the Extreme Value Distribution Type II, where the shape parameter is equal to 2. This means that the Rayleigh distribution can be seen as a simplified version of the Frechet distribution, with a simpler shape and fewer parameters. However, both distributions are commonly used in different contexts and have their own applications.

4. What are some common uses for the Rayleigh and Extreme Value Distribution Type II?

The Rayleigh distribution is often used in engineering and natural sciences to model physical quantities, such as wind speeds and wave heights. It is also used in signal processing and telecommunications to model noise and interference. The Extreme Value Distribution Type II is commonly used in extreme value analysis to model the probability of rare events, such as natural disasters and financial crises.

5. How can one determine if the Rayleigh or Extreme Value Distribution Type II is the appropriate distribution for a given dataset?

Determining the appropriate distribution for a given dataset requires careful analysis and consideration of the data. In general, the Rayleigh distribution is suitable for data that is positively skewed and has a continuous range. The Extreme Value Distribution Type II is suitable for data that is positively skewed and has a finite range. It is important to also consider the context and application of the data in determining the appropriate distribution.