Re: Forum Feedback and Posting Guidelines

• Thread starter royp
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the rules and guidelines of the forum regarding independent research and whether a theory based solely on mathematical and logical reasoning can be submitted without experimental evidence. The general consensus is that such a submission would need to thoroughly review the existing literature, explain why it agrees with experiments, and show the impact of fixing any logical errors. This would meet the due diligence requirement for submission and increase the likelihood of being accepted.
royp
Hello,

This is a post regarding forum rules around independent research. I went through the rules and guidelines carefully and my understanding is that they are quite sensible and reasonable. For instance, any new theory should be supported by some kind of experimental evidence - either conducted in the past or being proposed to be carried out in the future.

But my question is as follows: Suppose, I submit a theory (which is essentially exposing the fallacies/mistakes of an established existing theory) based almost purely on mathematical & logical reasoning? The reasoning, in turn is founded on some rock-solid law of physics viz. conservation of linear momenta or conservation of energy?

Will a paper qualify, assuming it conforms to formatting and other essential requirements?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
royp said:
Hello,

This is a post regarding forum rules around independent research. I went through the rules and guidelines carefully and my understanding is that they are quite sensible and reasonable. For instance, any new theory should be supported by some kind of experimental evidence - either conducted in the past or being proposed to be carried out in the future.

But my question is as follows: Suppose, I submit a theory (which is essentially exposing the fallacies/mistakes of an established existing theory) based almost purely on mathematical & logical reasoning? The reasoning, in turn is founded on some rock-solid law of physics viz. conservation of linear momenta or conservation of energy?

Will a paper qualify, assuming it conforms to formatting and other essential requirements?

Thanks

If it conforms to the IR forum requirement, then yes. However, from my point of view, if you think you have found such a thing, why bother with posting it on PF and not a peer-reviewed journal?

Zz.

Many thanks, Zz. The question was, to some extent (but not completely) hypothetical. But would you please suggest some such journals? Would they necessarily involve long delays?

royp said:
Many thanks, Zz. The question was, to some extent (but not completely) hypothetical. But would you please suggest some such journals? Would they necessarily involve long delays?

If you are not aware of the relevant journals, then

(i) how are you sure you have all the current state of knowledge to know what you're doing is "new" and "not wrong"

(ii) you haven't been reading the development in that field of study, or else you would have noticed journal citations and the likes.

So "hypothetically", I could say that there's almost a non-existent likelihood that you actually have something here. I strongly suggest that, before you fall further into your hypothetical situation, that http://insti.physics.sunysb.edu/~siegel/quack.html" .

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Zapperz, for your critical comments. You have some very valid points there and put quite logically

royp said:
For instance, any new theory should be supported by some kind of experimental evidence - either conducted in the past or being proposed to be carried out in the future.

My opinion is that for a submission to qualify, you will have to:

1. Review the literature for experimental verification of the existing model,
2. Explain why it is able to agree with experiment as well as it does, despite the mathematical/logical errors that you believe it contains, and
3. Show what happens to the agreement with experiment (on a case by case basis, if needed) upon fixing the errors in the logic.

I can not speak for the staff here, but I think if you do this, the Mentors will find it hard to argue that you have not met the due diligence requirement that is the basis for the requirements in the Tier 1 stage of review.

1. What is the purpose of "Re: Forum Feedback and Posting Guidelines"?

The purpose of "Re: Forum Feedback and Posting Guidelines" is to provide a set of rules and guidelines for users to follow when posting on a forum. These guidelines are in place to promote a positive and respectful community, and to ensure that discussions are productive and relevant.

2. How can I give feedback on the forum?

You can give feedback on the forum by following the designated feedback channels provided by the forum moderators. This may include a feedback form, email address, or a specific forum thread dedicated to feedback. It is important to follow these channels to ensure that your feedback is received and considered by the moderators.

3. Are there any consequences for not following the posting guidelines?

Yes, there may be consequences for not following the posting guidelines. These consequences can range from a warning from a moderator to a temporary or permanent ban from the forum, depending on the severity of the violation. It is important to familiarize yourself with the guidelines and follow them to avoid any consequences.

4. Can I suggest changes to the posting guidelines?

Yes, you can suggest changes to the posting guidelines by providing feedback to the forum moderators. They will review your suggestions and make any necessary updates or changes. It is important to remember that the guidelines are in place to maintain a positive and productive community, so any changes must align with this goal.

5. Are there any specific rules for posting content on the forum?

Yes, there are specific rules for posting content on the forum. These rules may vary depending on the forum, but some common rules include avoiding hate speech, personal attacks, and spamming. It is important to read and understand these rules before posting any content on the forum to ensure that your posts are appropriate and respectful towards others.