1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reaction mechanism for ketone and vinyl lithium

1. Mar 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the product of 1-bromo-3-propanone treated with vinyl lithium?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the carbonyl is attcked by the organolithium but I am having a hard time understanding how it attaches to the carbonyl since it is sp2 hybridized. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2016 #2

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Something must be wrong. 1-bromo-3-propanone is not a real molecule: propane only has 3 carbons, so a carbonyl on the 3-carbon would make it an aldehyde, not a ketone. Can you draw out the structure of the molecule that you intended to say?

4. Mar 11, 2016 #3
    I believe my study manual meant 1-bromo-2-propanone. But, here is the reaction that I have determined so far, attached below. The answer only says that the vinyl lithium would add to the carbonyl. Thanks!

5. Mar 11, 2016 #4

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't see the attachment.

This shouldn't matter. Just treat the organolithium compound as approximately R-Li+, with R = vinyl, and just do the same type of arrow-pushing you'd do with, e.g., butyllithium.

The one caveat is to think about not just the carbonyl, but the bromine as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted