Mild oxidation of an unsaturated ketone mechanism

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
IntegralDerivative
Messages
27
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


2016-11-08_13-21-51.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



Can't find this exact reaction mechanism online. Help?

http://imgur.com/a/X9P7e

I don't know what the mild oxidation does. Does it split the double bond into a ketone and aldehyde?
 
Attachments
  • 2016-11-08_13-21-51.png
    2016-11-08_13-21-51.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 561
Physics news on Phys.org
"Mild oxidation?" Adding Br? Or, not? Epoxide?
 
Bystander said:
"Mild oxidation?" Adding Br? Or, not? Epoxide?

What if it was just mild oxidation? What would be the reaction name??
 
That's what I'm asking you. Is it a "mild oxidation" in the presence of bromine, or is it in the presence of something else?
 
Bystander said:
That's what I'm asking you. Is it a "mild oxidation" in the presence of bromine, or is it in the presence of something else?
It actually turns out to be just mild oxidation. I guess two -OH groups would add across the double bond? Is there a mechanism for this reaction?