Products when NH3 reacts with CuSO4 and when H2SO4 reacts with Cu(NH3)4+2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Draksis314
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Reactions
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Draksis314
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



What is produced when NH3 is mixed with CuSO4(aq)?

What is produced when H2SO4(aq) is mixed with Cu(NH3)4+2?

Homework Equations



None

The Attempt at a Solution



For the first one, I'm thinking I should treat ammonia as a Group 1 metal and do a single replacement, but I'm not sure how this would work out.

For the second one, I have no clue how to start. Would the hydrogen pair up with the copper?

Thanks in advance for the help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first you are right.
Same of the second you treat SO4 and NH3 group 1 and do a double replacement

This is b/c they are polyatomic ions
 
Wrong.

What is pH of ammonia solution?

What do you know of copper hydroxide solubility?

What do you know about ammonia copper complex?

What happens to ammonia in the solution of strong acids?

--
 
Borek said:
Wrong.

What is pH of ammonia solution?

What do you know of copper hydroxide solubility?

What do you know about ammonia copper complex?

What happens to ammonia in the solution of strong acids?

--
www.titrations.info, www.chemistry-quizzes.info, www.ph-meter.info




see when I looked at it, it just seemed to be a balancing sort of problem, like you get in grade school, just to teach you how to do it. Usually you ignore those sort of things for those problems.

But if it is more advanced then you should def look at what he said