1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy Stoichiometry Concentration Problem

1. Jan 5, 2016 #1
    1. A piece of iron was added to a beaker that contained 0.585 mol/L copper(II) sulfate, CuSO4(aq). The solid copper that precipitated was dried, and its mass was found to be 5.02 g. Some unreacted iron remained in the beaker. Calculate the minimum volume of the copper(II) sulfate solution.

I really have no idea what I'm doing, seriously. I pretty much just guessed and my answer is almost guaranteed to be completely wrong.

This is what I have:

0.585mol CuSO4 / 1 L = 1 mol Cu / 1 mol CuSO4 = x / 5.02g Cu = 5.02g CuSO4
    n=5.02g CuSO4 / 159.62 g/mol = 0.031 mol CuSO4
    v = 0.585mol / L / 0.031 mol
    v = 18.4 L.

2. To generate hydrogen gas, a teacher added 25.0 g of mossy zinc to 220 mL of 3.00 mol/L hydrochloric acid in an Erlenmeyer flask.

a. What mass of hydrogen gas was generated?

b. Aft er the reaction, what was the concentration of zinc chloride, ZnCl2(aq), in the fl ask?

Again I honestly have no idea what to do for this problem, I don't even know how to start....

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

One step at a time: mixing "run-on" notation with conventional notation is a no-no. 0.031 moles? Maybe. 18.4 l? No.

What's the "molecular mass" for hydrogen?

4. Jan 6, 2016 #3
    What do you mean by "run on" notation? and H=1.01g/mol

5. Jan 12, 2016 #4
    Make sure you take into account that hydrogen is a diatomic gas H2 so the molecular mass for hydrogen is 2.02 amu

6. Jan 13, 2016 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

How many moles of copper were produced?

How many moles of copper sulfate were needed for that?

What volume of 0.585 M copper sulfate solution contains this number of moles?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted