1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Greater than 100 percent yield (102%)

1. Oct 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Cu(s) + 4 HNO3 (aq) Cu(NO3)2 (aq) + 2 NO2 (g) + 2 H2O (l)
    Cu(No3)2 + 2NaOH -------> Cu(OH)2 + 2NaNO3
    Cu(OH)2→CuO + H2O
    CuO + H2SO4 -> H2O + CuSO4
    CuSO4(aq) + Zn ( s) ------- ZnSO4 (aq)+ Cu(s)

I carried out the follow reactions using copper as an inital product and my percent yield was higher than 100% but I've got some possible error sources. The aqueous solutions which could have possibly remained due to poor decantation are ZnSO4 and NaNO3 and because these substances have high boiling point, they would not be removed when drying the copper using a steam bath and their masses would have an effect? I feel that this is unlikely because we used four washes in which zinc sulfate and sodium nitrate are soluble.

We used methanol and acetone washes right beofre drying the copper and perhaps methanol remained when weighing (because acetone is more volatile)?

In addition, would the highest possible percent error be 2%?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2012 #2

AGNuke

Gold Member

Which product are you asking for?

4. Oct 3, 2012 #3
    Copper

5. Oct 3, 2012 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

There is no such thing as the "highest possible percent error" - error is proportional to the experimentalist clumsiness, and unlimited :wink:

My bet is that your copper is contaminated with solid zinc. Hard to tell not knowing the complete procedure you followed.

6. Oct 3, 2012 #5

AGNuke

Gold Member

Probably Copper is just made a thin layer of precipitation on Zinc piece. Try using finely divided Zinc dust.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook