[ Read] Physics Realted Math Questions, Please some Advice

• Thread starter Tommis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the 1970 earthquake in Peru registered 7.7 on the Richter scale. How much more intense was this earthquake compared to the tremor in Ontario in 2002 that was measuered to be 5.2 on the Richter scale?The 1970 earthquake in Peru was 10 times more intense than the 2002 earthquake in Ontario.
Tommis
Hello,

I am seeking some quick advice for these two problems I have on this physics homework I am completing right now. Please look below. There are 2 questions.

1. The population of a country doubles every 24 years. How long will it take for the populartion to increase by a factor of 5?

2. The 1970 earthquake in Peru registered 7.7 on the Richter scale. How much more intense was this earthquake compared to the tremor in Ontario in 2002 that was measuered to be 5.2 on the Richter scale?

I have a test coming up and I need to know how to solve these questions. Regarding #2 it is going to use log's. For example a earthquake at a scale of 4 is 10 times more intense than one at a scale of 3. (On the Richter scale).

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you very, very much in advance.

Cya,
Tommis

Physics news on Phys.org
Question 1: Suppose, instead of the population increasing by a factor of 5, a different problem had asked about a population increasing by a factor of 8. Three doubling (times 2) steps would be needed to reach 8: step from 1 to 2, step from 2 to 4, step from 4 to 8. How are the numbers 2, 3, and 8 related?

Hey,

"How are the numbers 2, 3, and 8 related?"

I am not sure, from thoes numbers you told me, I can see no pattern. Do you mean 2, 4, and 8? I could understand thoes, they are double each time.

And yes, I have been trying to put the first question into a equation form, but I couldn't get it just because of the fact that its the NEW number that doubles.

How would it be done?

Cya,
Tommis

Hey,

Bump.

Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

Cya,
Tommis

Tommis said:
Hey,
"How are the numbers 2, 3, and 8 related?"

I am not sure, from thoes numbers you told me, I can see no pattern. Do you mean 2, 4, and 8? I could understand thoes, they are double each time.

[tex]\overbrace{2 \times 2 \times 2}^{3 times} = 8[/tex]

Hey,

Yes, I understand that fully. :P Just how could I do that with the question now?

Cya,
Tommis

Do you know of a way to express the population as a function of time?

Ok. I want to jump in here and try to see if I can figure it out. I'm a regular scrub so Tommis please don't accept this as the answer. If I do something wrong, I'd appreciate it if someone can point it out to me.
--

How do you express a value that doubles X times?

original value V = 2
the double of V = 2 * 2 = 4
the double of 4 = 4 * 2 = 8
the double of 8 = 8 * 2 = 16

V * 2^0 = 2
V * 2^1 = 4
V * 2^2 = 8
V * 2^3 = 16

So, to get a value V that has doubled X times, I guess you can write that as V * 2x-1.

You need a factor of 5. How big must X be for 2^x to reach 5?

5 = 2^x
log 5 = x * log 2
x = log 5 / log 2
x ~= 2.32

So, after doubling 2.32 times, the original value should be 5 times as large. It takes 24 years to double, so 24 * 2.32 ~= 55.7 years.

A quick control: If we double 1 2.32 times we should get 5.. 1 * 2^2.32 = 4.99 ~= 5.

The second question seems to escape me at the moment.

k

That's correct. I was thinking of: just as 2^3=8, or log to the base 2 of 8 is 3, similarly, log to the base 2 of 5 is whatever -- but I couldn't remember how to get the number.

1. What is the relationship between physics and mathematics?

Physics and mathematics are closely intertwined. Mathematics provides the language and tools needed to describe and analyze physical phenomena, while physics provides the real-world applications and experiments that test and validate mathematical theories.

2. How can I improve my math skills for physics?

To improve your math skills for physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. Practice regularly and try to apply mathematical concepts to real-world situations. Additionally, seek out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems to help strengthen your understanding.

3. What are some common mathematical equations used in physics?

Some common mathematical equations used in physics include Newton's laws of motion, the law of gravitation, the laws of thermodynamics, and Maxwell's equations. Other common equations involve concepts such as velocity, acceleration, force, energy, and momentum.

4. How can I apply math to understand complex physical concepts?

To apply math to understand complex physical concepts, it is important to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Identify the relevant equations and variables, and then use mathematical operations to solve for unknowns or make predictions. It is also helpful to visualize the problem and use diagrams or graphs to better understand the relationship between variables.

5. What is the role of calculus in physics?

Calculus is a fundamental tool in physics, as it is used to describe and analyze continuous change and motion. It is used to calculate derivatives and integrals, which are vital for understanding concepts such as velocity, acceleration, and force. Without calculus, many of the laws and equations in physics would not be possible to express or solve.