Reading a lot of maths make me hungry?

MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Is it just me?

But reading a lot of maths stuff makes me hungry, it's a good thing that I exercise regularly.

Answers and Replies

Is it just me?

But reading a lot of maths stuff makes me hungry, it's a good thing that I exercise regularly.
How does that statement follow? Exercising just sounds like it would make you even more hungry. The solution is to eat.

The brain burns glucose to do its work. Most of burning involves the Krebs or TCA cycle in order to manufacture ATP, which is utilized by neuronal cell respiration in order to feul the ion pumps that maintain membrane polarity. Maintaining this polarity allows the signals to do their thing in your brain networks. The more you use your brain, the more glucose you burn and the hungrier you get.

So next time you get hungry after doing a particularly hairy path integral, make an egg salad sandwhich and save the jog for later.

MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
How does that statement follow? Exercising just sounds like it would make you even more hungry. The solution is to eat.

The brain burns glucose to do its work. Most of burning involves the Krebs or TCA cycle in order to manufacture ATP, which is utilized by neuronal cell respiration in order to feul the ion pumps that maintain membrane polarity. Maintaining this polarity allows the signals to do their thing in your brain networks. The more you use your brain, the more glucose you burn and the hungrier you get.

So next time you get hungry after doing a particularly hairy path integral, make an egg salad sandwhich and save the jog for later.
Well, I lost something like 25-30 KG because I started exercising, I ain't gonna put more weight anytime soon.

atyy
Science Advisor
Analysis, algebra or geometry?

MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I like them all.

But geometry and analysis are more interesting to me.

atyy
Science Advisor
I mean, which makes you hungry?

After analysis I might have duck consommé, pasta roulade with escargot farce, presse de pintade and for dessert, ginger infused mango. For a wine, I rather favor a Veuve Fourny, Vertus than the more expensive Jaques Selosse, "Initiale". Algebra is best with something like a hotdog with sauerkraut and a coke.

Last edited:
atyy
Science Advisor
After analysis I might have duck consommé, pasta roulade with escargot farce, presse de pintade and for dessert, ginger infused mango. For a wine, I rather favor a Veuve Fourny, Vertus than the more expensive Jaques Selosse, "Initiale". Algebra is best with something like a hotdog with sauerkraut and a coke.
Hmmm, maybe I should make another attempt at Rudin ....

BTW, Americans have sauerkraut?

WannabeNewton
Science Advisor
Analysis does make me hungry that's for sure; can't say the same about Geometry though. Micro's been threatening to make me do Conway if I don't stick to Reed and Simon and just the pressure itself is making me eat boatloads of ice cream. MAKE IT STOP T_T

atyy
Science Advisor
Is there a difference between reading and doing?

I've heard it said that a mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems.

I think Banach was supposed to be the exception? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Café

http://kielich.amu.edu.pl/Stefan_Banach/pdf/ks-szkocka/ks-szkocka3ang.pdf

Problem 106
Prize: One bottle of wine, S. Banach.

Problem 152
For computation of the frequency: 100 grammes of caviar
For proof of the existence of frequency: a small beer
For counterexample: a demitasse

Problem 153
Prize: A live goose, Mazur

Looks like Jimmy Snyder got it right!

Last edited:
fuzzyfelt
Gold Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?v=ZdWMJW5qpOI

Looks as though reading a lot of maths makes him musical. :)

Last edited by a moderator: