Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real-life Superheroes: 10 People with Incredible Abilities

1. Nov 28, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.oddee.com/item_91848.aspx

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2007 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most of these look fine, and I know that some of them are, but "The Magnetic Man" clearly defies belief and lacks even good anecdotal evidence.

4. Nov 28, 2007 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I'm trying to imagine poor #10 on his night patrol coming upon a bank robbery...

5. Nov 29, 2007 #4
    It is an evolutionary imperative :)

6. Dec 11, 2007 #5
    you made me want to have a laugh at this.
    echo location?
    savants cant forget or block out any other external stimulation so they remember everything even like how the paper clip across the room was facing.
    you can react faster to sounds than through your eyes. your brain doesn't have to process the image.
    read the rest
    shure these things might happen
    but how has evolution made us use this traits to our advantage
    and it was such an advantage how come more humans "evolved"
    i think these are just oddities
    nothing more
    nothing can be reproduced with out some mistakes

7. Dec 11, 2007 #6

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

I'm nominating 'King Tooth' for a golden buffalo. Moving 297 tons without trickery is physiologically impossible.

8. Dec 11, 2007 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Surely you're not laughing derisively are you?

This is a celebration of the potential of the human mind. I may not be able to do incredible calculations like a savant can, but the mere fact that the human brain can do such things means that it may be possible to unlock these talents for our descendants, given enough time and research.

OK, maybe the tooth-pulling thing, not so much...

9. Dec 11, 2007 #8

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not necessarily - it's not the mass but the friction that matters. It's easy to move a 10m class telescope structure by hand.

Britain had a long distance transport system 200years ago where 1Hp motors moved 80ton canal boats very efficiently.

10. Dec 13, 2007 #9
    I would totally agree with Their number one, Tammet is one of the best brains in the world. I was so impressed when i watched the doc on him i uploaded the best bit; http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4BxhYPKXXnQ

I have been watching lots of Channel four's 'extraordinary people' series, and there are lots of amazing people with weid abilities all over the world. Every generation has their fair share of useful random mutations, I suppose. In particular are two i can recall, an artist in turkey with no eyes, who paints art better than I could, in perspective, in color and everything; http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=L3AgO6H0H98

Also another one is the Human Calculator Rudiger Gamm, who can do any sort of maths questions. His brain works really weirdly, he stared to speak backwards before he spoke forwards, but not just roughly backwards, exactly backwards, if you were to play it in reverse it would sound exactly like normal. He can do nearly any calculation, and he can alter the algorithm he uses for each question, so he hasn't learnt them off by heart. There are maths papers that say there is no such algoritm, but he seems to have invented one. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oqxhxIuEGRw

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  11. Dec 15, 2007 #10
    I have seen the guy on documentary show in Malaysia. He has been to a local university for perliminary examination. No magentic field was found around or on his body. So the scientist suggested skin conditions as possible explanation! :eek:

12. Dec 15, 2007 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

According to what source? There is plenty of nonsense on TV shows.

13. Dec 15, 2007 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

What?

How can you make such unfounded claims? Defend it or retract it.

:biggrin:

14. Dec 15, 2007 #13
    It's a documentary show called "Majalah Tiga". Of course there are plenty of nonsense shows, but this is not one of them (it can be boring at times due to its seriousness...).

15. Dec 15, 2007 #14
    Here's more info on the "magnetic" man. But I have not verified anything on that website.

Another similar family in Taiwan also shows no magnetic field (in fact, plastic objects also stuck on them...)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  16. Dec 17, 2007 #15
    The guy who doesn't need to sleep has an awesome advantage. The minor liver problem was probably from the alcohol. :eek:

17. Dec 17, 2007 #16
    You could take day job and night job and have double income :approve:

18. Dec 19, 2007 #17

Mk

I dunno about that echolocation kid. At least, the one I saw on Oprah, made up this thing about how other things that emit sounds he can use their sound waves to "see." Sorry kid, but echolocation doesn't work that way.

19. Dec 19, 2007 #18

DaveC426913

Gold Member

While it may not be called echolocation, it's still a potentially valid way of navigating.

Kid might just be sloppy in naming it.

20. Dec 19, 2007 #19

-Job-

Science Advisor

So the french guy ate a Cessna 150?

21. Dec 20, 2007 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hear that the wings are finger-licking good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?