1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real relativistic field and curvature?

1. Dec 19, 2009 #1
    Say we have a real field that satisfies:

E^2 = P^2 + m^2

Assume spacetime is 4D. Assume the field is at rest and grab a single point of this field and slowly displace it a distance x. Just as an anchored string (string with an additional sideways restoring force) with fixed end points will have its length change when a point is displaced and just as a two dimensional "anchored" membrane will change its area when a single point is displaced can we say that a 3 dimensional "anchored" membrane will change its volume if a single point is displaced a distance x? When I say "anchored" membrane it is the real relativistic field I am thinking of.

For small displacements, x, the change in volume is proportional to what power of x?

Thanks for any suggestions on how to solve this.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2009 #2
    I'm thinking the change in volume will also depend on the radius of volume around the point that is displaced?

Thanks for any help.

4. Dec 19, 2009 #3
    And then we would like to let the point go and picture volume changing with time and space. But first things first.

5. Dec 19, 2009 #4
    And then repeat all the above questions for a massless real field,

E^2 = P^2

6. Dec 20, 2009 #5
    I have to think more clearly about grabbing a point of a field that has a space dimension greater then one.

So that the math does not blow up, for a field of three space dimensions we grab a small spherical shell of radius R, of the field. Now we can displace this shell a distance w in the tangent space of the field. Now I think we can try to calculate volume changes.

the following function may be useful,

D(r) = A*exp[-m*r]/r for r > or = R

r is the radial distance from the center of the displaced shell, D(r) is the displacement of the field as a function of the radial coordinate r, and A is chosen so that:

D(R) = A*exp[-m*R]/R = w

Thanks for any help.

7. Dec 21, 2009 #6
    If I did the math right the radial component of the laplacian operator in spherical coordinates when operating on D(r) gives a constant squared times D(r) for r > R.

Thanks for any help!

8. Dec 21, 2009 #7
    For a massless field use the function

D(r) = A*exp[-m*r]/r for r > or = R

and set m = 0

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook