Office_Shredder said:
Because if they say they want more vacation time someone else gets hired instead
That's indeed the reason. You cannot go to your boss and tell him: hey, I'd like to work a bit less, I don't mind a lower salary. I do want an interesting job, and responsibilities. But in moderate amounts. Legally, you could. But it won't work.
You don't get hired for that. It is not the looked-for profile of the desired collaborator. So people who would actually settle for less, and take it a bit cooler, just HAVE to compete with those who want to go hard and earn much. In that case, they'll also earn more, but they don't desire this. They'd prefer to do it slower. The winner takes it all.
So we have two different views:
1) leave the job market totally free, and force high working rates and high salaries upon everybody
OR
2) regulate the job market and force medium or low salaries and leisurely working rates upon everybody
Of course, the economy will do better with 1). But if 2) is what is democratically desired for, then I don't see what is *a priori* wrong with it - on the condition that one understands what it means: higher unemployment, lower wages, smaller growth, less wealth.