1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Realistic debt from physics grad school?

Tags:
  1. Jul 23, 2012 #1
    I have done some research to find out how much it would cost to go to grad school and I am a bit confused about my findings. I have seen from multiple sources that by being a TA or an RA I will actually make money in grad school. (enough to live on while I study) I have also seen that I can graduate with a large amount of debt. Any information (especially from personal experience) would be great. (I also understand universities probably differ on the way grad school works financially)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2012 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Most physics PhD programs in the US, if they accept you, will pay you enough to live on as well as cover your tuition. You won't be living in luxury, but you will be able to eat and have a roof over your head. There should be no need to go into debt.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  4. Jul 23, 2012 #3
    This is true of Ph.D. programs. If you are interested in an MS, the situation is much worse.

But chances are you want to get a Ph.D. if you want to go to grad school in physics.

5. Jul 23, 2012 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

True statement. I edited my post to make that clear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook