1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Really basic expanding question: Forgot how!

1. Sep 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Going through my review material, and I need some help on this simple procedure.

example 1: (2x + 1)^2

example 2: 2(x^2 -1)

I forgot how to do this. Can someone please help me out?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Example 1: 2x squared is 4x?.... I dunno. Im stuck. I need a good review on how to do this simple procedure. Any website link to a review/refreasher would be good.

Thanks guys

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Ex. 1: What does the exponent 2 indicate?
    Ex. 2: Hint - distributive property.

Don't you have a textbook?

4. Sep 12, 2012 #3
    Just have a calculus book. I am doing a review for calc, and I dont have a Math 12 book.

Ex 1: would it turn into (2x + 1)(2x + 1) ?

Ex 2: would it be just (2x^2 - 2)????

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  5. Sep 12, 2012 #4

Mark44

1. Yes, but you still need to expand it. There are four multiplications - FOIL (first, outer, inner, last)
    2. Yes.

6. Sep 13, 2012 #5
    Remember that for #1, each pair of factors needs to be grouped together for multiplication (ie 2x*2x, 2x*1, 1*2x, 1*1). After you're done multiplying, add the like terms: 4x2 (remains the same; no like terms to which it can add), 2x+2x=4x, and 1. Final answer: 4x2+4x+1

7. Sep 13, 2012 #6

Mark44

You're going to have a very tough time in calculus if you are puzzled about basic algebra concepts. If you can't get the book you studied algebra from, there are lots of decent books out there that you could buy for not much money.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook