1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Things i forgot how to do/unsure about. Porabola stuff

1. Jan 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1) find the vertex, 2) find the x intercepts in terms of a, h, and k, 3) explain how values of a, h, and k affect the graph

2. Relevant equations
    y = A(x - h)^2 + k

3. The attempt at a solution
    1) (H,K)
    2) aaaahhh i don't know... i just forgot.
    3) A determines how wide it is, with a bigger a making a skinnier parabola, a smaller A making a wider parabola, and a negative a making it go upside down. H moves the vertex along the x axis, and K moves it along the Y axis.

is the ones i answered right? also. i would really appreciate a hint as to how to find out 2.

thanks guys
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2008 #2
    2. In order for you to be on the x-axis, set y=0. So from there, just solve for x. Whenever a problem says solve "x" in terms of a, b, c ... etc., they just want you to have it look like x = a, b, c.

1 & 3 are good.
  4. Jan 22, 2008 #3
    ooo... hm lets check it out.
  5. Jan 22, 2008 #4
    im getting that

A(x-h)^2 = [tex]\sqrt{-k}[/tex]

gives you one and if you subtract -K from this answer, you get the other x axis.
  6. Jan 22, 2008 #5
    x = [tex]\frac{\sqrt{-k}}{A} \pm AH[/tex]

is that right? i am so braindead.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?