Really need advice for undergraduate program selection

In summary: If you're interested in pursuing a career in physics, you should definitely consider studying mathematics as well. However, if you're interested in pursuing a career in mathematics, you should consider studying physics first.
Vahsek
Hello everyone, I am currently in high school and now I am completely sure about what I want to study at university level. The only problem is that I love both Physics and Pure Mathematics... So now I'm not really sure which program I'll have to apply for. Should I study either physics or pure mathematics one at a time?(this is going to take years) And if I decide to study Mathematical Physics at the undergraduate level, will I still be able to take up both physics and mathematics at the graduate level?

I also want to say that I prefer not to miss any of the components of either pure mathematics or physics for the program I will be choosing. For example, number theory probably has nothing to do with physics but i still want to study it along with physics. :confused:

Waiting eagerly for your advice. Thank you all in advance. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Vahsek said:
Hello everyone, I am currently in high school and now I am completely sure about what I want to study at university level. The only problem is that I love both Physics and Pure Mathematics... So now I'm not really sure which program I'll have to apply for. Should I study either physics or pure mathematics one at a time?(this is going to take years) And if I decide to study Mathematical Physics at the undergraduate level, will I still be able to take up both physics and mathematics at the graduate level?

I also want to say that I prefer not to miss any of the components of either pure mathematics or physics for the program I will be choosing. For example, number theory probably has nothing to do with physics but i still want to study it along with physics. :confused:

Waiting eagerly for your advice. Thank you all in advance. :smile:

In most universities Physics and Mathematics share a LOT of classes. You can probably double major without losing any time.

Thanks a lot carlgrace. I agree, the bulk of the courses from mathematics is included in physics. I've just viewed some examples.

What factors should I consider when selecting an undergraduate program?

When selecting an undergraduate program, it is important to consider factors such as your interests, career goals, program curriculum, location, cost, and reputation of the school.

How do I know which undergraduate program is right for me?

To determine which undergraduate program is right for you, it is important to research and explore different options, consider your interests and strengths, and speak with advisors or current students in the program.

Can I change my undergraduate program once I have already started?

Most universities allow students to change their undergraduate program if they meet the requirements and if there is availability in the desired program. It is important to check with your university's policies and procedures for changing programs.

What resources are available to help me with undergraduate program selection?

Most universities have resources such as career centers, academic advisors, and online tools to assist students with undergraduate program selection. It is also helpful to speak with current students and alumni of different programs to gain insight.

What is the importance of selecting the right undergraduate program?

The undergraduate program you choose can greatly impact your academic and career path. It is important to select a program that aligns with your interests and goals in order to have a fulfilling and successful academic and professional experience.