Rearranging abc/3=c²+a(b+2) to make b the subject

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter sarannie
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
sarannie
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Please please can you help me understand how to rearrange this formula to make b the subject:
abc/3=c^2+a(b+2)
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Start by expanding the brackets, moving every term that has a "b" to one side, and taking b out as a factor.
 
Prove It said:
Start by expanding the brackets, moving every term that has a "b" to one side, and taking b out as a factor.

Thank you, I have an absolute mental block with algebra.
So do I do a x b a x 2 next?
 
sarannie said:
Thank you, I have an absolute mental block with algebra.
So do I do a x b a x 2 next?

Hi there,

Yep, I think I know what you mean and if so that's the right idea. After expanding you'll get this:

$$\frac{abc}{3}=c^2+ab+2a$$

Now what you should do is collect the terms with a "$b$" in them on one side and terms without on the other. If you do that you'll get this:

$$\frac{abc}{3}-ab=c^2+2a$$

With me so far? Any idea what to do next?
 
You are very good to help me, thank you.
I'm wondering about clearing that fraction by multiplying by 3?