1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rearranging an equation and drawing a blank

1. Feb 28, 2016 #1
    I need to rearrange this equation to solve for b but I can not get it worked out to where my units end up being correct.

(a-b)=(F*b)/(A*E)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Can you retype it with units? Where's your difficulty?

4. Feb 28, 2016 #3
    I end up with b=(AEa)/(F+AE) but A=mm^2 E=N/mm^2 a=mm F=N and b needs to be mm but I am left with the N from F with nothing to cancel it out.

5. Feb 28, 2016 #4

fresh_42

##unit(b) = \frac{unit(AEa)}{unit(F+AE)}= \frac{unit(A)unit(E)unit(a)}{unit(F)+unit(A)unit(E)}= \frac{mm^2 \cdot \frac{N}{mm^2} \cdot mm}{N + mm^2 \cdot \frac{N}{mm^2}} = \frac{N \cdot mm}{N} = mm##

6. Feb 29, 2016 #5
    I don't understand why the N is still on top. Doesn't A and E both cancel each other out so that all that remains is F and a?

7. Feb 29, 2016 #6

fresh_42

What do you mean by "cancel each other out"? ##unit (A\cdot E) = unit(A) \cdot unit (E) = mm^2 \cdot \frac{N}{mm^2} = N##.

If you divide by ##AE## first then you'll have ##b = \frac{a}{\frac{F}{AE} + 1}## and therefore $$unit(b) = \frac{unit(a)}{\frac{unit(F)}{unit(AE)}+unit(1)} = \frac{mm}{\frac{N}{mm^2 \cdot \frac{N}{mm^2}}+0} = \frac{mm}{\frac{N}{N}} = \frac{mm}{1} = mm$$.

8. Feb 29, 2016 #7
    Alright thank you that just finally made it sink in. I was looking at it if there is an AE on the top and bottom they would just cancel each other out but the way you laid it out here makes a lot of sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook