Rearranging an equation and drawing a blank

• Thread starter samsquaunch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drawing
In summary, the equation (a-b)=(F*b)/(A*E) needs to be rearranged to solve for b. The units for b should be mm, but after rearranging, the units are still N. By dividing by AE first, the correct units for b can be obtained.
samsquaunch
I need to rearrange this equation to solve for b but I can not get it worked out to where my units end up being correct.

(a-b)=(F*b)/(A*E)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
samsquaunch said:
I need to rearrange this equation to solve for b but I can not get it worked out to where my units end up being correct.

(a-b)=(F*b)/(A*E)
Can you retype it with units? Where's your difficulty?

I end up with b=(AEa)/(F+AE) but A=mm^2 E=N/mm^2 a=mm F=N and b needs to be mm but I am left with the N from F with nothing to cancel it out.

samsquaunch said:
I end up with b=(AEa)/(F+AE) but A=mm^2 E=N/mm^2 a=mm F=N and b needs to be mm but I am left with the N from F with nothing to cancel it out.
##unit(b) = \frac{unit(AEa)}{unit(F+AE)}= \frac{unit(A)unit(E)unit(a)}{unit(F)+unit(A)unit(E)}= \frac{mm^2 \cdot \frac{N}{mm^2} \cdot mm}{N + mm^2 \cdot \frac{N}{mm^2}} = \frac{N \cdot mm}{N} = mm##

I don't understand why the N is still on top. Doesn't A and E both cancel each other out so that all that remains is F and a?

samsquaunch said:
I don't understand why the N is still on top. Doesn't A and E both cancel each other out so that all that remains is F and a?
What do you mean by "cancel each other out"? ##unit (A\cdot E) = unit(A) \cdot unit (E) = mm^2 \cdot \frac{N}{mm^2} = N##.

If you divide by ##AE## first then you'll have ##b = \frac{a}{\frac{F}{AE} + 1}## and therefore $$unit(b) = \frac{unit(a)}{\frac{unit(F)}{unit(AE)}+unit(1)} = \frac{mm}{\frac{N}{mm^2 \cdot \frac{N}{mm^2}}+0} = \frac{mm}{\frac{N}{N}} = \frac{mm}{1} = mm$$.

Alright thank you that just finally made it sink in. I was looking at it if there is an AE on the top and bottom they would just cancel each other out but the way you laid it out here makes a lot of sense.

Related to Rearranging an equation and drawing a blank

1. How do I rearrange an equation?

Rearranging an equation involves isolating a specific variable on one side of the equation. This can be done by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to move terms from one side of the equation to the other.

2. What is the purpose of rearranging an equation?

Rearranging an equation allows you to solve for a specific variable or manipulate the equation to better understand its relationship between different variables. It also helps in solving complex problems and making predictions.

3. What are the steps for rearranging an equation?

The steps for rearranging an equation are:

1. Identify the variable you want to isolate.
  2. Use algebraic operations to move terms to the opposite side of the equation.
  3. Simplify the equation by combining like terms.
  4. Check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

4. What are some common mistakes when rearranging an equation?

Some common mistakes when rearranging an equation include:

• Not performing the same operation on both sides of the equation.
  • Forgetting to distribute when using multiplication or division.
  • Making errors in simplifying the equation.
  • Forgetting to check the solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

5. How do I know if I have correctly rearranged an equation?

You can check if you have correctly rearranged an equation by plugging your solution back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also double check your work by using a calculator or asking a friend or teacher to review your solution.