Rearranging equation of a circle

• Thread starter Georgepowell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation of a circle with radius 1 around the origin, which is normally given by x²+y²=1. The conversation also mentions the parametric equations for the circle, x=sin(t) and y=cos(t), and how to rearrange them to get rid of t. However, using arcsin and arccos in the rearrangement can cause problems as they are not one-to-one functions. It is suggested to restrict the domains of sin and cos to avoid this issue.
Georgepowell
[solved] rearranging equation of a circle

the equation of a circle with radius 1 around the origin is normally given by:

x²+y²=1

or parametrically:

x= sin(t)
y= cos(t)

If you rearrange the parametric equations to get rid of t you get:

arcsin(x)=arccos(y)

which should also be the equation of the same circle.

So my question is, how do you rearrange arcsin(x)=arccos(y) to get x²+y²=1 ?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
[itex]x = sin(arccos(y)) = \sqrt{1 - y^2}[/itex],

because

[itex]
\begin{equation*}\begin{split}
arccos(y) &= \theta \\
y &= cos(\theta) \\
\sqrt{1-y^2} &= sin(\theta) \\
\end{split}\end{equation*}
[/itex]

Thanks, that was more simple than I thought.

To go from parametric form
[tex] x = sin(t) \mbox{ and } y =cos(t), [/tex]
to the form
[tex] x^{2} + y^{2} = 1 [/tex]
you do not use the rearrangement as you have given. What you do is consider
[tex] x^{2} + y^{2} = sin^{2}(t) + cos^{2}(t) = 1. [/tex]
The last step is using a trigonometric identity.

The rearrangement you have given breaks down as sin and cos are not 'one-to-one' functions thus arcsin and arccos are not the inverse functions. e.g
[tex] sin(0) = sin(\pi) = 0 \mbox{ but what about } arcsin(0) = 0 \mbox{ or } \pi. [/tex]
For arcsin to be well defined it can only be one. This is where trouble can occur.

P.S. My example is not as general as it could have been as [itex] sin(n\pi) = 0 [/itex] for all integers n.

ThirstyDog said:
The rearrangement you have given breaks down as sin and cos are not 'one-to-one' functions thus arcsin and arccos are not the inverse functions. e.g
[tex] sin(0) = sin(\pi) = 0 \mbox{ but what about } arcsin(0) = 0 \mbox{ or } \pi. [/tex]
For arcsin to be well defined it can only be one. This is where trouble can occur.

I don't understand the problem is with using a one-to-many 'function'. (note the inverted commas)

You would NEED to use one to get an equation of a circle because there are two values for anyone x or y value. Why is using sqrt(1-x²) any better because this can also be two values?

I'm not saying your wrong, just that I don't understand.

One could be careful and restrict the domain of sin and cos, such that the functions are 1-1 and hence invertible. It sounds like a bit of argument and specification/patchwork, but not unimaginable.

The point I was making was that although through the rearranging you can get the right answer in the end in the middle you made statement which were not entirely true. This is does not matter significantly if you are just looking for a sketch of the proof or aren't required to be completely rigorous.

One technical error that was made was using
[tex] x = sin(t) \Rightarrow t = arcsin(x), [/tex]
this is not actually true. As derek e said this can be fixed by restricting domains etc but this might become tedious.

1. How do you rearrange the equation of a circle?

To rearrange the equation of a circle, you need to isolate the variables on one side and the constants on the other side. This can be done by using algebraic manipulations such as adding, subtracting, multiplying, or dividing both sides of the equation by the same number.

2. What is the standard form of the equation of a circle?

The standard form of the equation of a circle is (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2, where (h, k) represents the coordinates of the center of the circle and r is the radius of the circle.

3. How do you find the center and radius of a circle given its equation?

To find the center and radius of a circle given its equation, you need to rearrange the equation into standard form. The coordinates of the center can then be determined by using the values of h and k, while the radius can be found by taking the square root of r^2.

4. Can the equation of a circle be in the form of y = mx + b?

No, the equation of a circle cannot be in the form of y = mx + b. This is because the equation of a circle requires both x and y to be squared, while the equation of a line has only one variable squared.

5. How is the Pythagorean Theorem related to the equation of a circle?

The Pythagorean Theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. This concept is used in the equation of a circle, where the distance from the center to any point on the circle is equal to the radius, which is essentially the hypotenuse of a right triangle formed by the x and y coordinates of that point.