Rearranging equations - is this correct?

• Thread starter Lucy573
  • Start date
In summary, to check if your rearranged equation is correct, you can substitute values and compare results, or solve for different values. The basic rule for rearranging equations is to perform the same operation on both sides. However, certain rules must be followed, such as flipping the inequality sign when multiplying or dividing by a negative number. Common mistakes to avoid include not performing the same operation on both sides, not following the correct order of operations, and making typos or errors. The rules for rearranging equations apply to all types of equations, but specific steps may vary.
Lucy573

Homework Statement

Rearrange F=Kq1q2/r^2 to make K the subject

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

K=Fr^2/q1q2 - is this correct? Sorry I am new to this! Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's correct.

Fab thanks - should have more faith!

If you want to check your answer, just make up values for k, q1, q2, and r and find F. Then use that F along with the same values for q1, q2, and r and see if you get what you assigned to k originally.

1. How do I know if my rearranged equation is correct?

To check if your rearranged equation is correct, you can substitute the values of the variables into both the original and rearranged equation and see if they give the same result. Another way is to solve the equation for different values of the variables and see if they produce the same output.

2. What are the rules for rearranging equations?

The basic rule for rearranging equations is to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation to isolate the variable you are solving for. This can include adding, subtracting, multiplying, or dividing both sides by the same number or variable.

3. Can I rearrange equations in any order?

No, there are certain rules to follow when rearranging equations. For example, when multiplying or dividing both sides by a negative number, the inequality sign must be flipped. Also, when adding or subtracting variables on both sides, they must be moved to the same side of the equation.

4. What are the common mistakes to avoid when rearranging equations?

One common mistake is forgetting to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation. Another mistake is not following the correct order of operations, which can lead to an incorrect rearranged equation. It is also important to watch out for any typos or errors when writing out the equation.

5. Can I use the same method to rearrange any type of equation?

Yes, the rules for rearranging equations apply to all types of equations, including linear, quadratic, and exponential equations. However, the specific steps may vary depending on the type of equation and the variable being solved for.