Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Receive a certificate error in Internet Exp 11

1. Mar 21, 2015 #1
    I use Internet Explorer to get into my sbcglobal.net email. It has been working fine all these years. All of a sudden, my desktop gives me Certificate error when I click the "Mail" in Yahoo page. The message is:

Security certificate presented by the website has expired or not yet valid.

Security certificate problem may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept data sent to the server.

My other computers work fine on the same network. What is the possible problem? Please help.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2015 #2

Svein

Science Advisor

Those are valid security messages. Maybe your other computers have relaxed internet security.

4. Mar 22, 2015 #3
    But even yesterday, the desktop worked fine. Just all of a sudden this morning I got this message. What can I do to fix it?

Thanks

5. Mar 22, 2015 #4

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Consider that the security certificate has failed in the interim. A useful browser's error will give some options and reasons for the certificate failure. As a matter of fact, I just tried to visit sbcglobal.net to see that its IP has been hijacked.

6. Mar 22, 2015 #5

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

More than likely, your other computers have the message turned off in their IE settings. You can make the message not appear in IE but then you won't have any warning when a web site is using a fake certificate. However, "Fixing it" isn't what you should do. You should be more concerned that your other computers aren't warning you.

If I read Doug Huffman's last post correctly, your browser is warning you (like it should) that the site has been hijacked. Hijacked sites usually have viruses so if you want to install yet another virus on your computer, turn off the warning and have a nice visit to 'sbcglobal.net'.

7. Mar 22, 2015 #6
  8. Mar 22, 2015 #7

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

LOL Or use an user-agent switcher.

9. Mar 22, 2015 #8
    Thanks guys. Problem solved. Here I was thinking, reading and asking. My wife just restarted the computer and it's all good!!!!

thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook