1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recirculating DE Mixture Problem

1. Apr 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A rigid tank of volume "V" contains salt dissolved in water at a concentration "C". Fresh water flows into the tank at a rate of "F". A fraction "x" of the exit flow is recirculated back into the entrance flow.

Given:
    V, Volume of tank
    Fin, Flow rate in
    Fo, Flow rate out
    x, Fraction of volume flow-rate recirculated
    Co, Initial concentration
    C(t), Concentration in tank at time t

img002.jpg

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\frac{dC}{dt}=\text{concentration of salt entering}-\text{concentration of salt leaving}[/tex]

[tex]C_{in}=xFC(t)[/tex]

[tex]C_{out}=(1-x)FC(t)[/tex]

so [tex]\frac{dC}{dt}=xFC(t)-(1-x)FC(t)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\frac{dC}{dt}=xFC(t)-(1-x)FC(t)[/tex]

When I plot this using Euler's Method, I get this graph. This is obviously incorrect, because it does not reflect exponential decay. Can someone help me out? I'm really not sure what I've done wrong.
    untitled.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2010 #2
    I may have found my own mistake. I totally forgot to take into account to volume of the tank. I believe this wound change the Flow Out equation to:

[tex]
    C_{out}=(1-x)FC(t)
    [/tex]

so the final equation would be:

[tex]
    \frac{dC}{dt}=xFC(t)-\frac{(1-x)FC(t)}{V}
    [/tex]

is this correct?

With some randomly chosen values (V=10,000 ft^3/s F=10 ft^3 x=.2 Co=.8) I get this, which seems much more reasonable.

untitled-1.jpg

4. May 1, 2010 #3
    Anyone want to qualify my answer here? Should I re-post this somewhere else? Hello?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook