Recommendations for avant-garde and indie experimental music

  • Thread starter Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Music
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
71 replies · 14K views
J.S.Bach on MIDI

click and listen

CLASSICAL MUSIC ARCHIVES: J.S.Bach
Address:http://www.classicalarchives.com/bach.html Audio:http://www.classicalarchives.com/m/8/gp_pass.mid
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by hypnagogue
Heheh. Just foolin' around with you. But seriously-- if you're into dark/melancholy music, have you listened to Radiohead much? The Verve? Smashing Pumpkins? Black Rebel Motorcycle Club? The Black Heart Procession? Pink Floyd? :smile:

Didn't care too much for Pink Floyd, kind of liked Radiohead. Never listened to the rest .
 
Originally posted by Jimmy
hypnagogue, have you seen/heard 'Live at Pompeii'?

Very long time ago... I remember liking it, but nothing besides that really.
 
Sublime, beethoven, metallica, the doors, the eagles, elvis, and a bunch of others I can't think of right now. Have any of you heard of Sublime?
 
I'd like to see the names of a few individual songs given, along with the artist or group, so I could go about trying to listen to it.

Led Zeppelin - Trampled Underfoot
Led Zeppelin - Achilles Last Stand
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
Led Zeppelin - Kashmir
Rage Against the Machine - Vietnow
Rage Against the Machine - **** tha Police (NWA cover)
Rage Against the Machine - Zapata's Blood
Rage Against the Machine - War Within a Breath
Clutch - Animal Farm
Clutch - Rock and Roll Hounddog
Clutch - I have the Body of John Wilkes Booth
Tool - Prison Sex
Tool - Parabola
Bob Marley - Jammin'
Bob Marley - Everything is Gonna Be Alright
Stone Temple Pilots - Sex Type Thing
Iron Maiden - Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Iron Maiden - Aces High (live version if possible)
The Doors - Riders on the Storm
The Doors - Roadhouse Blues
Audioslave - Set It Off
Audioslave - Cochise

I can go on and on so I'll stop here.

Misfits are ok, as long as u like old british bands that like yelling, "i aint no goddamn son of a *****"

The Misfits are from New Jersey, not Britain.
 
Hypnagogue, Andy, zoobyshoe, and Sting….Phew

Thank you for the artist/song combinations. Some I have heard before, the others I will make a point to listen to.
 
Originally posted by einsteinian77
No one here likes Sublime??

I like Sublime lots. Just not enough to put them in the upper echelon of my lists, and the upper echelon is probably all I can afford to talk about before people start tuning me out. :wink:
 
About 60% classical from any of the periods except for contemporary, 30% of the "trance" (if that's indeed what it is) genre (e.g. Delerium, Paul Oakenfold, Paul van Dyk, DJ AnyoneThatSoundsGood), and about 10% of random songs from various genres.
 
I can't see how you can put Sublime anywhere but in the upper part of your list. They have a bunch of good songs and quite a lot of very good songs. It's too bad the front man died he was a genius at what he did.
 
Just to add a few:

Breaking Point - One of a Kind
The Wallflowers - Sleepwalker
Tom Waits - Union Square
Thin Lizzy - The Rocker
The Sex Pistols - Submission
REM - Pop Song 89
Soundgarden - My Wave*
Rage Against the Machine - Guerilla Radio
Rage Against the Machine - Down Rodeo
Pink Floyd - Time**
The Misfits - London Dungeon
The Misfits - Hollywood Babylon
Metallica - Sanitarium
Metallica - Until It Sleeps
Killing Joke - Kings and Queens
Killing Joke - Follow the Leaders

Sting's notes
* chorus isn't so great but the rest of the song is pretty cool
** kick ass solo