Recommendations for textbook on relativity?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a request for a recommendation for a textbook on special relativity that covers similar topics as Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics, uses the same formalism, and includes plenty of examples and problems on tensors and index gymnastics. The suggested recommendations were A. O. Barut's Electrodynamics and Classical Theory of Fields and Particles, and Rindler's Relativity: Special, General, and Cosmological for a deeper understanding of relativity.
ijzer
Hi all,

I am currently working on chapters 11 and 12 of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics and I have reached the conclusion that I need a supplementary textbook on relativity to fresh up my knowledge a bit.

Could someone recommend me a good textbook on special relativity that:

(a) Covers at the very least everything included in Jackson chapters 11 and 12.
(b) Uses the same formalism as Jackson.
(c) Has plenty of examples and (worked) problems especially on co(ntra)variant tensors and all the index gymnastics.
(d) Has some chapters on general relativity (for future use, not crucial).

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
An inexpensive Dover book that goes into great detail is
A. O. Barut, Electrodynamics and Classical Theory of Fields and Particles.. No GR, though. Useful background for QED.

For background on SR, I recommend Rindler, Relativity: Special, General, and Cosmological.

As a scientist with expertise in the field of relativity, I would recommend "Introduction to Special Relativity" by Wolfgang Rindler. This textbook covers all the topics mentioned in your criteria and is written in a similar formalism to Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics. It also includes numerous examples and problems on tensors and index gymnastics, making it a great resource for strengthening your understanding of these concepts. Additionally, the book has a section on general relativity for future reference. I have personally used this textbook in my own research and have found it to be highly comprehensive and useful. I hope this recommendation helps in your studies. Best of luck!

1. What is the best textbook for learning about relativity?

The best textbook for learning about relativity would depend on an individual's learning style and level of understanding. Some popular options include "Introduction to Special Relativity" by David Morin and "Gravitation" by Charles W. Misner, Kip S. Thorne, and John Archibald Wheeler.

2. What topics should a textbook on relativity cover?

A textbook on relativity should cover topics such as special relativity, general relativity, the mathematics of relativity, the history and development of relativity, and applications of relativity in modern physics.

3. Are there any textbooks on relativity that are suitable for beginners?

Yes, there are several textbooks on relativity that are suitable for beginners. Some options include "Introducing Einstein's Relativity" by Ray d'Inverno and "Relativity: A Very Short Introduction" by Russell Stannard.

4. Do I need a strong background in math to understand a textbook on relativity?

A basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra is helpful when studying relativity, but many textbooks also provide a review of necessary mathematical concepts. It is important to have a willingness to learn and practice mathematical concepts while studying relativity.

5. Are there any online resources that can supplement a textbook on relativity?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement a textbook on relativity. Websites such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare offer free lectures and tutorials on relativity. There are also various YouTube channels and online forums dedicated to discussing and explaining concepts in relativity.