Recommended online computer architecture resource?

In summary, the conversation suggests using course websites like <https://agora.cs.illinois.edu/display/cs231sp09/Schedule> for quick exposure to basic concepts like registers, bus, and c.p.u. However, it is noted that lecture slides without the actual lectures may leave out important details. For a more comprehensive understanding, the books "Computer Organization and Design: The Hardware/Software Interface, Third Edition" and "Computer Architecture, Fourth Edition: A Quantitative Approach" by Hennessy and Patterson are recommended. Google Books may also provide previews of these books.
johndb
Can anyone recommend a good and reliable online resource on this subject area? One which explains areas like registers, bus & c.p.u etc other than the sometimes unreliable wikipedia.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Whenever I want to be exposed to the basics quickly, I usually start at course websites that have lecture notes and homeworks available for review. Maybe try something like <https://agora.cs.illinois.edu/display/cs231sp09/Schedule>? I must note though, that in general, I've found lectures slides without the lectures not too "good" in the sense of there being details left out.

In my experience though, I've found it best to learn my computer architecture from Hennessy and Patterson's books. To start, you may want to check out "Computer Organization and Design: The Hardware/Software Interface, Third Edition" from a library. For more detail about the broader problems in computer architecture, I recommend their book entitled "Computer Architecture, Fourth Edition: A Quantitative Approach". Google Books may allow you to preview some pages online.

Last edited by a moderator:

I understand the importance of finding reliable and accurate resources for research and learning. When it comes to computer architecture, there are several reputable online resources that can provide in-depth explanations of concepts such as registers, buses, and CPUs.

One highly recommended resource is the Computer Architecture and Organization course on Coursera, offered by Princeton University. This course covers a wide range of topics in computer architecture and provides detailed explanations, examples, and hands-on assignments to enhance understanding.

Another great resource is the Computer Organization and Design textbook by David A. Patterson and John L. Hennessy. This book is widely used in university courses and provides a comprehensive and thorough explanation of computer architecture concepts.

For a more interactive learning experience, the Computer Science YouTube channel offers a series of videos on computer architecture, including lectures from top universities such as MIT and Stanford.

It is also worth mentioning the official websites of technology companies such as Intel and AMD, which provide detailed information on their processors and computer architecture.

In conclusion, there are many reliable and informative online resources available for learning about computer architecture. It is important to carefully evaluate the credibility of the source and cross-reference information from multiple sources to ensure accuracy.

1. What is computer architecture?

Computer architecture refers to the design and organization of a computer system, including its hardware components, instruction sets, and system organization. It is the foundation for a computer's overall functionality and performance.

2. Why is it important to learn about computer architecture?

Understanding computer architecture allows for better comprehension of how computers work and how they can be optimized for specific tasks. It also provides a basis for troubleshooting and designing new computer systems.

3. What are the key components of computer architecture?

The key components of computer architecture include the central processing unit (CPU), memory, input/output devices, and the system bus. These components work together to process and store data, and to communicate with the outside world.

4. What are some recommended online resources for learning about computer architecture?

Some recommended online resources for learning about computer architecture include online courses, tutorials, and lectures from reputable universities such as MIT and Stanford. There are also many informative websites and blogs dedicated to computer architecture, such as Ars Technica and TechSpot.

5. How can learning about computer architecture benefit my career as a scientist?

As a scientist, understanding computer architecture can benefit your career in several ways. It can help you make better use of computational resources, optimize code for scientific simulations, and improve data analysis and visualization techniques. It can also open up career opportunities in fields such as computer science, data science, and artificial intelligence.