Reconstruction Primordial Fluctuations from Temperature Anisotropy

In summary, the authors use harmonic coefficients of anisotropy to reconstruct fluctuations from temperature anisotropy. They are related to the primordial fluctuations as a beam transfer function and a noise term. They attempt to reconstruct underlying fields using a linear filter and minimize variance.
maverick280857
Reconstructing Primordial Fluctuations from Temperature Anisotropy

Hi

For a summer project, I am required to read the paper "Measuring Primordial Non-Gaussianity in the Cosmic Microwave Background", Komatsu et al (http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0305189v2).

On page 3, the following arguments describe the method of reconstructing primordial fluctuations from temperature anisotropy:

(The point I am stuck at is given below and is boldfaced...you may want to scroll down skipping the background, which I have included to define the notation.)

The harmonic coefficients of the CMB anisotropy are given by

[tex]a_{lm} = \frac{1}{T}\int d^{2}\hat{n}\Delta T(\hat{n})Y_{lm}^{*}(\hat{n})[/tex]

They are related to the primordial fluctuations as

[tex]a_{lm} = b_{l}\int r^{2}dr \left[\Phi_{lm}(r)\alpha_{l}^{adi}(r) + S_{lm}(r)\alpha_{l}^{iso}(r)\right] + n_{lm}[/tex]

where [itex]\Phi_{lm}(r)[/itex] and [itex]S_{\lm}(r)[/itex] are the harmonic coefficients of the fluctuations at a given comoving distance [itex]r = |x|[/itex], [itex]b_{lm}[/itex] is the beam transfer function and [itex]n_{lm}[/itex] is the harmonic coefficient of noise.

Here,

[tex]\alpha_{l} \equiv \frac{2}{\pi}\int k^{2}dk g_{Tl}(k)j_{l}(kr)[/tex]

where [itex]g_{Tl}[/itex] is the radiation transfer function of either adiabatic (adi) or isocurvature (iso) perturbation; [itex]j_{l}(kr)[/itex] is the spherical Bessel function of order [itex]l[/itex].

This is where I'm stuck:

Next, assumuming that [itex]\Phi(x)[/itex] dominates, we try to reconstruct [itex]\Phi(x)[/itex] from the observed [itex]\Delta T(\hat{n})[/itex]. A linear filter, [itex]O_{l}(r)[/itex], which reconstructs the underlying field, can be obtained by minimizing variance of difference between the filtered field [itex]O_{l}(r)a_{lm}[/itex] and the underlying field [itex]\Phi_{lm}(r)[/itex]. By evaluating

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial O_{l}(r)}\left\langle\left|O_{l}(r)a_{lm}-\Phi_{lm}(r)\right|^{2}\right\rangle = 0[/tex]

one obtains a solution for the filter as

[tex]O_{l}(r) = \frac{\beta_{l}(r)b_{l}}{C_{l}}[/tex]

where the function [itex]\beta_{l}(r)[/itex] is given by

[tex]\beta_{l}(r) \equiv \frac{2}{\pi} \int k^{2}dk P(k) g_{Tl}(k)j_{l}(kr)[/tex]

and [itex]P(k)[/itex] is the power spectrum of [itex]\Phi[/itex].

(Here [itex]C_{l} \equiv C_{l}^{th}b_{l}^{2} + \sigma_{0}^2[/itex] includes the effects of [itex]b_{l}[/itex] and noise, where [itex]C_{l}^{th}[/itex] is the theoretical power spectrum.)

I can't see how the authors have obtained the solution for the filter from the partial differential equation. I would be grateful if someone could shed light on this step.

Thanks in advance.

Vivek.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
This is a very specific question. I would suggest that you try a few advanced textbooks (although you probably have done this already?). Other than that, review papers, in this case a review of CMB physics and measurement, often go into more detail about methods that other papers do not have the space for.

Hopefully someone else will be able to provide a more useful answer, but that is as much as I can suggest.

My advice would be to email the author of the paper - they should be able to offer the best advice.

Thank you matt.o and Wallace.

I believe this is a construction of a Wiener filter, but I am not sure how the PDE has resulted in the given solution. I have mailed the author of the paper.

Last edited:
What is the expectation taken over?

What are reconstruction primordial fluctuations from temperature anisotropy?

Reconstruction primordial fluctuations from temperature anisotropy refers to the process of using observational data from the cosmic microwave background (CMB) to infer the properties of primordial density fluctuations in the early universe. These fluctuations are thought to be responsible for the formation of large-scale structures, such as galaxies, in the universe.

What is the significance of studying reconstruction primordial fluctuations from temperature anisotropy?

Studying reconstruction primordial fluctuations from temperature anisotropy can provide valuable insights into the early stages of the universe, as well as the physical processes that drove its evolution. It can also help to test and refine theories of cosmology, such as inflation, which attempt to explain the origin and evolution of the universe.

How is reconstruction primordial fluctuations from temperature anisotropy done?

This process involves analyzing and interpreting data from the CMB, which is the oldest light in the universe, dating back to just 380,000 years after the Big Bang. This data is used to create maps of the temperature anisotropy, or tiny variations in the CMB temperature, which can then be used to infer the properties of primordial fluctuations.

What challenges are faced in reconstructing primordial fluctuations from temperature anisotropy?

One of the main challenges is separating the primordial signal from other sources of temperature anisotropy, such as gravitational lensing and foreground contamination. This requires careful data analysis and the use of sophisticated statistical techniques.

What are some current developments and future directions in the study of reconstruction primordial fluctuations from temperature anisotropy?

Currently, there is ongoing research to further improve the accuracy and precision of measurements of the CMB temperature anisotropy. Future experiments, such as the Simons Observatory and CMB-S4, will also provide more detailed and comprehensive data, allowing for even deeper insights into the nature of primordial fluctuations and the early universe.