Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reconstruction Primordial Fluctuations from Temperature Anisotropy

1. Jun 23, 2008 #1
    Reconstructing Primordial Fluctuations from Temperature Anisotropy

Hi

For a summer project, I am required to read the paper "Measuring Primordial Non-Gaussianity in the Cosmic Microwave Background", Komatsu et al (http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0305189v2).

On page 3, the following arguments describe the method of reconstructing primordial fluctuations from temperature anisotropy:

(The point I am stuck at is given below and is boldfaced...you may want to scroll down skipping the background, which I have included to define the notation.)

The harmonic coefficients of the CMB anisotropy are given by

[tex]a_{lm} = \frac{1}{T}\int d^{2}\hat{n}\Delta T(\hat{n})Y_{lm}^{*}(\hat{n})[/tex]

They are related to the primordial fluctuations as

[tex]a_{lm} = b_{l}\int r^{2}dr \left[\Phi_{lm}(r)\alpha_{l}^{adi}(r) + S_{lm}(r)\alpha_{l}^{iso}(r)\right] + n_{lm}[/tex]

where [itex]\Phi_{lm}(r)[/itex] and [itex]S_{\lm}(r)[/itex] are the harmonic coefficients of the fluctuations at a given comoving distance [itex]r = |x|[/itex], [itex]b_{lm}[/itex] is the beam transfer function and [itex]n_{lm}[/itex] is the harmonic coefficient of noise.

Here,

[tex]\alpha_{l} \equiv \frac{2}{\pi}\int k^{2}dk g_{Tl}(k)j_{l}(kr)[/tex]

where [itex]g_{Tl}[/itex] is the radiation transfer function of either adiabatic (adi) or isocurvature (iso) perturbation; [itex]j_{l}(kr)[/itex] is the spherical Bessel function of order [itex]l[/itex].

This is where I'm stuck:

I can't see how the authors have obtained the solution for the filter from the partial differential equation. I would be grateful if someone could shed light on this step.

Thanks in advance.

Vivek.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2008 #2

Wallace

Science Advisor

This is a very specific question. I would suggest that you try a few advanced textbooks (although you probably have done this already?). Other than that, review papers, in this case a review of CMB physics and measurement, often go into more detail about methods that other papers do not have the space for.

Hopefully someone else will be able to provide a more useful answer, but that is as much as I can suggest.

4. Jun 23, 2008 #3
    My advice would be to email the author of the paper - they should be able to offer the best advice.

5. Jun 23, 2008 #4
    Thank you matt.o and Wallace.

I believe this is a construction of a Wiener filter, but I am not sure how the PDE has resulted in the given solution. I have mailed the author of the paper.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  6. Jun 25, 2008 #5
    What is the expectation taken over?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?