Record Snowfall Delights Locals - 4" Since 4AM!

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: For us, having an inch or two on the ground is a once or twice a year treat. This year we haven't had any significant snow at our place and the forecasters were promising that we would get some, but holy cow! We have gotten about 4 inches since 4AM, and it is expected to continue coming down steadily through tomorrow. This could end up being a record for us!
I spent much of yesterday clearing the heavy, wet snow that fell Wednesday, and today, I spent the afternoon with a friend clearing 3 feet of snow off the roof of his summer place because we are supposed to get some heavy rain this weekend. The snow pack is still porous enough to hold a bit more water, but it is heavy, so it's approaching saturation. I want spring!

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
We're having another major snow storm. This is freaking unbelieveable, this has been the coldest, snowiest, iciest winter I can remember. Everywhere you go it's all you hear. Usually you have a cold snap, then it warms up, then another cold snap. Instead it's day after day after day of freezing weather. :frown:
We might get half an inch of snow tomorrow morning! Woo Hoo! I know you all are tired of snow but I miss it. I miss the smell of the air when it snows and how quiet it gets when it is really coming down. It melts by ten a.m. if we get enough to stick to anything.:grumpy:

Gee, it's already T-shirt and shorts weather again in L.A.
So boring!

larkspur said:
We might get half an inch of snow tomorrow morning! Woo Hoo! I know you all are tired of snow but I miss it. I miss the smell of the air when it snows and how quiet it gets when it is really coming down. It melts by ten a.m. if we get enough to stick to anything.:grumpy:

I can agree with that sentiment. Then again, I appreciate not having to shovel the snow, but really do wish we'd get one good snowstorm that sticks...especially if it would show up over a weekend when I could just sit and look out the window and enjoy it. :approve:

Math Is Hard said:
Gee, it's already T-shirt and shorts weather again in L.A.
So boring!

I remember surfing at Seal Beach on Christmas day without a wet suit.

...:cry:

The last time I saw snow deeper than an inch or two was in the late 80's *sigh*. It doesn't help that there's a large range of hills that extends nearly all the way to London, which tends to get any snow that has a chance dumped on it.

I love snow, the feeling under your feet is just divine.

As a kid I used to live in Kent, an area of the country that seems to be predisposed to snow more often, despite being on the South coast, I made a fortune from clearing driveways back then.

We are having a snow storm right now! One flake a minute!

I wish it will snow here in the Philippines...

Spend a month in Cleveland and you'll never want to hear the word snow again.

Its a sideways snowstorm, hitting me square in the face at 30 mph!

undrcvrbro said:
Spend a month in Cleveland and you'll never want to hear the word snow again.

:rolleyes: one day is ok...

Last edited:
We had a total of 0.000001 inches. It didn't last long though...no chance to go sledding or make snow balls.:wink:

VashtiMaiden said:
:rolleyes: one day is ok...

Haha. Yeah, just try living there.

We had rain today - sometimes torrential, and may have picked up 2-3" of it. I may have to do a drive-about tomorrow to see what it does to the streams and rivers. Luckily, we're in for some colder weather in the short term so that the ripe snow-pack doesn't melt precipitously and destroy dams, bridges, etc. Long-term, we have a serious threat though.

undrcvrbro said:
Haha. Yeah, just try living there.

hmmm... one hour will be fine...

gotcha...

We've been getting snow today. It was rain and sleet this morning, but it finally turned to snow and started sticking this afternoon, and was kind enough not to start REALLY sticking until I was done running errands. :smile: I don't have to go anywhere tomorrow, so I hope it keeps pouring snow so I can enjoy it.

Hi, Moonie! Currently, we've got torrential rains pounding on the metal roof, and hopefully it won't translate into heavy flooding, though the prospects for late March/early April are a bit bleaker. The heavy snow-pack this winter (2-3-4' or more through most of the state with high water content) is a threat. A warm 3-4 day period with rain could devastate our infrastructure.

Spring has sprung here. Lots of flowers. It is beautiful in the mountains.

Nothing left but a few white patches on the grass now to remind us we had snow yesterday. :frown: I just want ONE nice pretty snow that sticks and lasts more than a day and is enough to build a snowman.

I wish I could send you a few hundred cubic yards of snow. I won't even glimpse my front lawn until late April/early May.

5 minutes of snow! i hope so... lol.. here in the Philippines

We had lots of rain on Saturday and some areas flooded. Our flood control system worked and our basement remained dry.

Saturday evening through Sunday morning, we had high winds, with gusts about 40 mph. Some trees came down in the area, but our neighborhood didn't have any problems.

More bad weather

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/19/severe.weather.ap/index.html

Missouri governor seeks federal disaster declaration for 70 counties

PIEDMONT, Missouri (AP) -- Residents of low-lying towns stacked sandbags or grabbed belongings and evacuated Wednesday as a foot of rain pushed rivers over their banks in the nation's midsection. At least 13 deaths had been linked to the weather, and three people were missing.

Record or near-record flood crests were forecast in several towns in Missouri. Flooding was reported in large areas of Arkansas and parts of southern Illinois, southern Indiana and southwestern Ohio.

. . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
And we're back to freezing temperatures again. :mad: I can't set my seedlings out during the day, it's too cold.

It might get above freezing today, but with the 20-25 mph winds, it won't feel too warm. Without counting any future snowfall, Caribou, ME has set a record 182.5" of snowfall - the highest total since records were kept in the 1930's. We've had well over 10' of snow here this year, but they have topped 15' and still have another month or so of potential snows.

We do not get weather in England, extremes like you yanks get would stop our country dead.
I have my fingers crossed for you Turbo, and hope you will not need a garden ark.

wolram said:
We do not get weather in England, extremes like you yanks get would stop our country dead.
I have my fingers crossed for you Turbo, and hope you will not need a garden ark.
When I planted my garlic last December, I drove a 4' wooden stake to mark where the German garlic stopped and the Russian garlic started. There might have been 3' or so sticking out of the ground, and right now I can see about 8-10" of the stake - the rest is covered with snow. When the snow melts, I might have to wear my snowshoes when I till the garden to keep from getting stuck in the mud. :uhh: Normally, we can start planting around the end of May, but that might get delayed this year.

turbo-1 said:
When I planted my garlic last December, I drove a 4' wooden stake to mark where the German garlic stopped and the Russian garlic started.

No vampires in your garden then! :smile:

Garth

Garth said:
No vampires in your garden then! :smile:

Garth
Until the garlic sprouts, I hope the stake will scare them off. :uhh:

6 fresh inches of Easter snow over night.:cry:

hypatia said:
Hope the easter Bunny hasn't hidden the eggs yet. :frown: All the little children out in their brand new Easter snow suits...

hypatia said:

I never thought that I'd see you cry about getting 6 inches overnight.

I saw a house fly a month ago that's how warm it is atm here! Please no Disney jokes. :wink: