Record Snowfall Delights Locals - 4" Since 4AM!

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: For us, having an inch or two on the ground is a once or twice a year treat. This year we haven't had any significant snow at our place and the forecasters were promising that we would get some, but holy cow! We have gotten about 4 inches since 4AM, and it is expected to continue coming down steadily through tomorrow. This could end up being a record for us!
scorpa said:
Good old Alberta, next week it will probably be +2 or something ridiculous like that just to screw with us.

Only a Canadian would look forward to +2. :rofl: *pulls blanket closer*

Physics news on Phys.org
scorpa said:
Ick, -46 degrees. I could cry right now, the walk to school this morning is going to be awful.
Jesoozi Christoozi man! Where do you live?

Edmonton

It was -51 where my parents live today so I guess I shouldn't complain. I'm busting out my fuzzy pink socks for tomorrow...they look ridiculous but I don't care, they are so warm.

Last edited:
Ah! A fellow Edmonchuckian! Actually, scorpa -46C is -51F. And that's what it was this morning.

And yes, +2 C is lovely weather, by comparison. I'd break out party hats for that at this point. But this really awful stuff is only supposed to hold until about Thursday and then we'll get to about -20C or so, again. So they're predicting.

And! Looking ridiculous in the super freezing cold is what being Canadian is all about. :biggrin:

GeorginaS said:
Ah! A fellow Edmonchuckian! Actually, scorpa -46C is -51F. And that's what it was this morning.

And yes, +2 C is lovely weather, by comparison. I'd break out party hats for that at this point. But this really awful stuff is only supposed to hold until about Thursday and then we'll get to about -20C or so, again. So they're predicting.

And! Looking ridiculous in the super freezing cold is what being Canadian is all about. :biggrin:

Haha I don't understand the farenheight scale at all, it was -51C at my parents house though. And yeah I would kill for +2, but i'll take -20 over what it is now. I'm glad this weather is only staying around until thursday, if was any longer I would probably have broken down and bought a extension cord so I could drive to school instead of walk and plug my car in there. It better not be like this over reading week because I am going skiing at Marmot Basin...if it is this cold I will be staying home. Summer seems so far away...

scorpa said:
Haha I don't understand the farenheight scale at all
Me neither. They meet at -40 and then F takes off more quickly than C. Dunno.

it was -51C at my parents house though.
They must be just out of town in the country somewhere, then. Yikes! Although, do you think we'd really notice the difference between -46 and -51? Once it gets past -30, it seems pretty much the same to me. Just damn cold.

I am going skiing at Marmot Basin
Lucky you! I'll hope for better weather for you, then.

Summer seems so far away...

Isn't that just the truth. We've been pretty fortunate, so far, this year with winter weather. Last year was unbelievable.

We ended up getting perhaps eight inches of snow. I barely got up the drive this evening using chains!

Ivan Seeking said:
We ended up getting perhaps eight inches of snow. I barely got up the drive this evening using chains!
No snow sticking where I am, but the flakes that are falling right now are enormous. It's a mix of rain and snow with high wind, and some of the flakes are about an inch around. I was just driving home from work trying to dodge the largest of them.

scorpa said:
It is supposed to last for at least the rest of the week to, I don't mind it being cold but -46 is pretty much my personal breaking point. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the wind :( Good old Alberta, next week it will probably be +2 or something ridiculous like that just to screw with us.
They close schools here when it gets into single digits (fahrenheit) because they consider it dangerous for kids to even wait outside for a bus in those temperatures. I hope you use good thermal underwear. Scorpa if I lived near you, I'd drive you to school, except my car probably wouldn't start in weather that cold. :eek:

Evo said:
They close schools here when it gets into single digits (fahrenheit) because they consider it dangerous for kids to even wait outside for a bus in those temperatures. I hope you use good thermal underwear. Scorpa if I lived near you, I'd drive you to school, except my car probably wouldn't start in weather that cold. :eek:
Holy Cow! If they closed schools here when the temps hit single digits, kids would have to go to school most of the summer just to make up the lost days.

turbo-1 said:
Holy Cow! If they closed schools here when the temps hit single digits, kids would have to go to school most of the summer just to make up the lost days.
We're not prepared for weather that cold. A school superintendant was severly reprimanded last year for keeping school open on a 5 degree day. The buses never made it to get the kids because the type of diesel fuel the buses used gelled up. His district was the only one not to close and it was all over the news. Kids freezing at bus stops.

Evo said:

I don't get it...they do that here too. We never had such luxury when I was a kid, you just learned to bundle up! Every year here, they have problems with the buses not starting too, same thing...because the fuel gels. Have they never heard of engine heaters? I could understand if you lived in a place where it gets that cold only one or two days a year, but when it happens for a couple weeks at a time every year, I don't get it. Today, a bunch of schools had delayed openings. I have no idea why. It was warm and rainy...no ice, no snow, no cold, not even windy. I'm starting to think the superintendants just don't like going to school in January, so call off a bunch of snow days or delayed openings so they can sleep in too.

scorpa said:
Haha I don't understand the farenheight scale at all,
Conversion is easy:
If you're given a fahrenheit temp, just subtract 30 and halve the result. It's right within a few degrees:
. F . . . C
100 ~ .35
. 80 ~ .25
. 40 ~ . 5
. .0 ~ -15
-20 ~ -25
-40 ~ -35

Heat Wave! The outside temp just got up to 35 deg F. I might have to put on a pair of shorts and go for a walk.:cool:

We're currently experiencing blizzard conditions, I can barely see across the street and the snow is blowing sideways at 40mph. Just lovely.

we're supposed to be getting that same storm this evening

but--its about 62 degrees right now--and it going down to about 10 tonight

now its 18 degrees with snow

DaveC426913 said:
Conversion is easy:
If you're given a fahrenheit temp, just subtract 30 and halve the result. It's right within a few degrees:
. F . . . C
100 ~ .35
. 80 ~ .25
. 40 ~ . 5
. .0 ~ -15
-20 ~ -25
-40 ~ -35

Or take a walk on the wild side and multiply by 5/9 instead of 5/10. :biggrin:

Huckleberry said:
No snow sticking where I am, but the flakes that are falling right now are enormous. It's a mix of rain and snow with high wind, and some of the flakes are about an inch around. I was just driving home from work trying to dodge the largest of them.

We are still melting down, but it has been raining and mixed at nearly 40F.

Last night was the first time that Bun braved the elements to come down to my office. Normally she pretty much lives down here, but she has never seen snow like this before and she was afraid to walk in it! :rofl: When I went up to the house later, I had to carry her on my shoulder. :rolleyes:

Uh oh, the temp has dropped and it's snowing like crazy out there! I hope Tsu can get home tonight...

The weather reports have indicated that we could get another 4 inches, but I wasn't believing it until now.

Last edited:
Hope Tsu's either OK for driving or can hang tight where she is. 4" of snow would not inhibit a bit of travel around here, unless it was VERY wet stuff coming down on VERY cold roadways. My wife leaves for work often before 5am and she blasts through 18-24" of snowbanks at the end of the driveway with impunity. We bought her a Subaru Legacy with all-wheel drive, ABS and traction control. A better choice for us might have been a Forester or similar on the same platform but with a little more clearance. If you live in a place where snow, ice, etc, is common and you are in an industry in which your participation is mandatory, Subaru has some light, fuel-efficient vehicles that can help make that all happen. Studded snow tires on my wife's Legacy make her little car MUCH more nimble and reliable in the snow than my Nissan 4x4 pickup. 'Nuf sed! I really need a pickup for some things (fertilizer, dump-runs, etc), but if I didn't, we'd own two Subarus instead.

We rarely get this much. And really the biggest problems are that when we get snow, we usually get a lot of ice, and we live in the foothills - black ice can be a huge problem. The 4WD trucks and such do well to a point, but nothing gets traction on a steep, ice covered road.

The other problem is that we have a long steep driveway - about 300 feet long and steepest at the top. One year I tried to climb it in the pu truck with about a foot of snow on the ground, and the truck ended up sitting in Tsu's garden for two weeks. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
We rarely get this much. And really the biggest problems are that when we get snow, we usually get a lot of ice, and we live in the foothills - black ice can be a huge problem. The 4WD trucks and such do well to a point, but nothing gets traction on a steep, ice covered road.

The other problem is that we have a long steep driveway - about 300 feet long and steepest at the top.

Time to tie a long rope to the front door and toss the other end down the driveway to Tsu can pull herself up to the house! I hope the road conditions hold out for her to get home...otherwise she's going to have a very LONG night, probably stuck covering for the people who can't get to work while she can't get home.

Moonbear said:
Time to tie a long rope to the front door and toss the other end down the driveway to Tsu can pull herself up to the house! I hope the road conditions hold out for her to get home...otherwise she's going to have a very LONG night, probably stuck covering for the people who can't get to work while she can't get home.

If it gets really bad, she will show up on Integral's doorstep at midnight. :biggrin:

Getting out - up the driveway - is the hardest part. But coming the other way, she could end up sliding and/or rolling down the hill into a cow fence. Not good. You could definitely die trying to come down the driveway on ice.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
If it gets really bad, she will show up on Integral's doorstep at midnight. :biggrin:
I'm sure he'll be thrilled...oh, wait, he'll still be at work...I'm sure Derivative will be thrilled. :uhh:

Getting out - up the driveway - is the hardest part. But coming the other way, she could end up sliding and/or rolling down the hill into a cow fence. Not good. You could definitely die trying to come down the driveway on ice.

Oh, I thought the slope was the other way. In that case, better leave her a sled at the top, or an ice axe she can use to slow her descent?

Moonbear said:
Oh, I thought the slope was the other way. In that case, better leave her a sled at the top, or an ice axe she can use to slow her descent?

yeah...or we could try a parachute.

I have considered putting in resistive heating for these events, but it may well require 30,000 watts to do it. I know the state is using 100 watts per square foot in their applications, so with two, one-foot wide tracks each three-hundred feet long, at that rate it would take about 60,000 watts.

Last edited:
Evo said:

Single digits, if they did that here the kids would never have school.

Today was better, it was still cold but much less windy. It took me halfway to school before I couldn't feel my legs anymore instead of only after 2 minutes haha. I just wish they would shovel the sidewalks...some places I am walking in snow halfway up to my knee and all I have is running shoes so that is annoying.

turbo-1 said:
Hope Tsu's either OK for driving or can hang tight where she is. 4" of snow would not inhibit a bit of travel around here, unless it was VERY wet stuff coming down on VERY cold roadways. My wife leaves for work often before 5am and she blasts through 18-24" of snowbanks at the end of the driveway with impunity. We bought her a Subaru Legacy with all-wheel drive, ABS and traction control. A better choice for us might have been a Forester or similar on the same platform but with a little more clearance. If you live in a place where snow, ice, etc, is common and you are in an industry in which your participation is mandatory, Subaru has some light, fuel-efficient vehicles that can help make that all happen. Studded snow tires on my wife's Legacy make her little car MUCH more nimble and reliable in the snow than my Nissan 4x4 pickup. 'Nuf sed! I really need a pickup for some things (fertilizer, dump-runs, etc), but if I didn't, we'd own two Subarus instead.

I think when I graduate and get a job my next vehicle will be a Subaru. I like the AWD aspect of them plus they are very nice cars. My jeep is nearly breaking me with the price of gas so the idea of an AWD car that is good on fuel is appealing.

Ivan--are you out there shoveling the drive right now for her?

rewebster said:
Ivan--are you out there shoveling the drive right now for her?

Che.. yeah, right. :rolleyes::rofl:

I usually just come over the top at about 35mph and FLY down the drive. :biggrin: It's not pretty if there's a skunk or possum in the driveway when I arrive. :biggrin:

scorpa said:
I think when I graduate and get a job my next vehicle will be a Subaru. I like the AWD aspect of them plus they are very nice cars. My jeep is nearly breaking me with the price of gas so the idea of an AWD car that is good on fuel is appealing.
They are Killer cars for northern climates. You do need a second set of tires with snow-treads/studs, but that's about all. These little cars are killers.! I would much rather drive my wife's Subaru Legacy in the winter than my Nissan 4x4 pickup!

Sorry, friends, but I'm too pissed at the moment to read this entire thread. (I was off duty more than 2 hours ago, but didn't realize it and so have not yet cashed out.)
All that I can say is that I've always considered myself a serious weather wimp. My comfort zone is from 85-110 degrees F. On the other side, I strolled out in my sweats and T-shirt to try to find the block heater cord on W's new car, and spent about 4 minutes, at -43 C. and wasn't uncomfortable except for my hands being a bit cold. I'm about to do my cash-out and walk home, and it's probably about -50 now.
Okay, cancel the walking home part. W just called from work and is going to pick me up when she's done in a few minutes. (And you thought that I just married her for her body...)

Come to think of it, I thought that I just married her for her body...

Last edited:
Darn, I just looked in my closet and the bottom part of the wall is covered in ice. You know it is cold when.

Turbo, yeah they are great cars, fun to drive to. I am thinking WRX Impreza but the idea of having to burn premium fuel kind of turns me off.

Last edited:
scorpa said:
the idea of having to burn premium fuel kind of turns me off.

If it burns premium, it's barely able to call itself a car. A real car needs avgas. :rolleyes:

We're getting more snow tonight and another 4-7 inches tomorrow. :frown: