1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rectangular Potential Barrier Boundary Conditions with E=V

1. Oct 28, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to calculate the transmission and reflection coefficients for rectangular finite potential barrier between (-a, a) for a particle of mass m with energy equal to the height of the barrier (E = V0 > 0).

2. Relevant equations
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectangular_potential_barrier#E_.3D_V0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand the general solutions for the potential region are linear, and am trying to match the boundary conditions to evaluate the coefficients, but I am having trouble understanding why the Wikipedia page linked above has the imaginary number disappear from the exponentials attached to the Cl term. Instead there is just a + sign there. Is this just a mistake on the page? As far as I can tell, there is no reason the term should suddenly become real.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree with you. No one notices, because they let Cl=0 for T and R .

By the way, usually the barrier is from x=0 to x=a to make applying the boundary conditions a little easier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted