Potential in the three regions of an infinite slab

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 1K views
workhorse123
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
The charge density in the region
-z’<z<z’
depends only on z; that is,
p=p’cos(pi z/z’)
where p’ and z’ are constants. Determine the potential in all regions of space
Relevant Equations
Poisons equation, laplace equation
for the boundary conditions for this problem I understand that Electric field and Electric potential will be continuous on the boundaries.
I also know that I can set the reference point for Electric potential, wherever it is convenient. This gives me the fifth boundary condition. I am confused at where I find the last boundary condition.

1700501779671.png
 
Attachments
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
If possible, please type in your work using Latex, rather than posting snapshots of your work. Additional guidelines for posting in the homework forums can be found here.

You cannot arbitrarily choose a "zero point" for the electric field like you can with the potential. However, can you justify the condition ##E_{\text{at} \, z = 0} = 0## from the symmetrical nature of the charge distribution in this problem?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman and workhorse123