Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recursive solution of determinants

1. Aug 9, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I'm reading a paper where the determinant of the following matrix is solved for using some kind of recurisve method.

The matrix is given by [tex]M_{ij} = A \delta_{i,j} - B \delta_{i,j-1} - C \delta_{i,j+1}[/tex], with [tex]i,j = 1...N[/tex] and are NOT cyclic.

The author sets [tex]D_N = \texttt{det}\[M_{(N)}\][/tex] and writes the equation

[tex]D_N = A D_{N-1} - B C D_{N-2}[/tex],

assumes a solution of the form [tex]D_N = \lambda ^N[/tex] and finds two solutions,

[tex]\lambda_{\pm} = (A \pm \sqrt{A^2 - 4 B C}) / 2[/tex].

He then notes the initial conditions of [tex]D_1 = A[/tex] and [tex]D_2 = A^2 - B C[/tex] and says that the answer is therefore

[tex]D_N = \frac{\lambda_{+}^{N+1} - \lambda_{-}^{N+1}}{\lambda_{+} - \lambda_{-}}[/tex].

It's the very last step I don't understand, how did he find [tex]D_N[/tex]?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2008 #2
    After a bit of search I see that the method to solve this kind of recurrence relations is to assume a solution of the form [tex]A \lambda_1^N + B \lambda_2^N[/tex] and find A and B from the initial conditions. However this is not exactly the form of the solution here... how come?

4. Aug 9, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why isn't it?
    [tex]D_N= \frac{\lambda_+}{\lambda_+-\lambda_-}\lambda_+^n+ \frac{-1}{\lambda_-(\lambda_+-\lambda_-)}\lambda_-^n[/tex]
    is exactly of the form you give.

5. Aug 9, 2008 #4
    Yes that would be correct, a bad case of dullness. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?