Recycled acidic water evaporation / condensation

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of recycling used water at work that is contaminated with an acid solution and other chemicals from a powdercoating process. The question is whether evaporating and then condensing the water would result in pure water or if the acid and other chemicals would also be carried over. Suggestions are made about using a fractional distillation apparatus or neutralizing the acid before evaporation. It is noted that the process is specific and may require more research.
neil63
I would like to recycle a source of used water at work. The water is contaminated with an acid solution and other chemicals used in a powdercoating process. My question is -- if I were to evaporate the water and then turn it back to condensate, would the water be pure? or would the acid and other chemicals be carried over?
thanks in anticipation of a learned response.

Engineering news on Phys.org
neil63 said:
I would like to recycle a source of used water at work. The water is contaminated with an acid solution and other chemicals used in a powdercoating process. My question is -- if I were to evaporate the water and then turn it back to condensate, would the water be pure? or would the acid and other chemicals be carried over?
thanks in anticipation of a learned response.
"Pure?" Sounds as though you want to design a "fractional distillation apparatus" but aren't certain what parameters determine the performance of said apparatus;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_distillation

Hi thanks for the reply. I'm not trying to separate the component parts, I am hoping merely to evaporate the "dirty" water and then condense it in the hope that any acid would be left behind. My plan involves pumping the liquid up to a thin tank mounted in the roof space where the temperature is 100' C with the aid of a small vacuum pump drop the pressure and then condense the resulting steam ready for re-use . ?

This is very process specific, but in general, yes, the acid vapors will condense too.

thanks Russ not the answer I was hoping for but much appreciated non the less

Just a thought seeing as bystander mentioned it. Would the acid vapors condense at a substantially different temperature to the water? or would it be easier to neutralize the acid first by dosing?

neil63 said:
Just a thought seeing as bystander mentioned it. Would the acid vapors condense at a substantially different temperature to the water?
They could, yes, but typically you only have ambient temperatures available unless you intend to put a cooling coil (or several) in the duct.
...or would it be easier to neutralize the acid first by dosing?
Not sure what that means -- weak on the chemistry...

neil63 said:
would it be easier to neutralize the acid first by dosing?
Without knowing the specific acid, or base selected to neutralize it, or concentrations, it's really difficult to say. You may be "protecting" a proprietary process, or you may be groping about in the dark.

Groping is probably nearest the mark, thanks again, think I will do some more research and I'll be back ... cheers

What is recycled acidic water evaporation/condensation?

Recycled acidic water evaporation/condensation is a process that involves evaporating acidic water and then condensing the vapor back into liquid form. This allows for the separation of the acidic components from the water, making it safe for reuse.

Why is recycled acidic water evaporation/condensation important?

Recycling acidic water through evaporation and condensation helps to reduce water pollution and conserve water resources. It also allows for the safe disposal of acidic waste, preventing harm to the environment.

What are the steps involved in the process of recycled acidic water evaporation/condensation?

The first step is to collect the acidic water and transfer it to an evaporation chamber. The water is then heated to a temperature where it evaporates, leaving behind the acidic components. The vapor is then condensed and collected as clean water.

What are the benefits of using recycled acidic water?

Using recycled acidic water reduces the need for fresh water, conserving this precious resource. It also prevents the release of harmful acidic waste into the environment, promoting a cleaner and healthier ecosystem.

Are there any limitations to recycled acidic water evaporation/condensation?

One limitation is that this process may not be suitable for all types of acidic water. It also requires energy for heating and condensing, which may not be feasible in areas with limited resources. Proper disposal of the remaining acidic components is also crucial to prevent further harm to the environment.