Struggling with Redox Reaction Equations?

• Thread starter koosney@stcc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Redox
In summary, Jaska is having trouble balancing electrons in half equations. He needs to add one electron to the left to cancel the proton (+) he had left over after he balanced his equation.
koosney@stcc
hey I'm in yr 12 chemistry in Australia and I am having problems understanding redox reactions equations, i understand oxidation states and a little bit but i can't figure our about the electrons calculus, i can do the rest of the formula or steps but i cannot seem to be able to calculate the electron transfer accurately i was hoping some one would be able to help with methods or something.
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks but that doesn't really help me calculate how to balance electrons in half equations (thats the only problem i am having)

Hi,
I think I understand what you are having trouble with. When you are finished balancing a half-equation and let's say it looks like this:
Au3+(aq) + 2I−(aq) -> Au(s) + I2(s)
(3+ and - on left side are charges), so you have Au (3+) and I (2-) on left, and on right you don't have any charges as you can see. Notice that when you have a number in front like 2I, make sure you don't forget that number and see only one (-) at the top, you actually have (2-). So, now 2 out of 3 protons of Au on left will balance 2 electrons on left and you will be left with one proton (1+) on left. Then, if you want to balance electrons, you see that you have zero on right and you want same on left so you add one e- to the left to cancell the proton (+) you had left over after you balanced your equation. Same thing if you had in the end 4+ on left and 2- on right of equation you would add 6- to left to cancell 4+ and have 2- left over to balance the right side.

Hope this helps
Jaska

1. What is a redox reaction equation?

A redox reaction equation is a chemical equation that shows the transfer of electrons between reactants and products. It involves the oxidation and reduction of species, leading to changes in their oxidation states.

2. How do you balance a redox reaction equation?

To balance a redox reaction equation, you need to first identify the species that are being oxidized and reduced. Then, balance the elements in the equation except for oxygen and hydrogen. Next, balance the oxygen atoms by adding water molecules to the appropriate side of the equation. Finally, balance the hydrogen atoms by adding hydrogen ions (H+) to the appropriate side. Make sure to also balance the charges of the reactants and products by adding electrons where necessary.

3. What is the purpose of using oxidation numbers in redox reaction equations?

Oxidation numbers are used to keep track of the transfer of electrons in a redox reaction. They help to identify which species are being oxidized and reduced, and also to determine the number of electrons transferred between them.

4. Can a redox reaction equation be written in different ways?

Yes, a redox reaction equation can be written in different ways as long as the number of atoms and their charges are balanced. This can be achieved by using different coefficients for the reactants and products, or by manipulating the oxidation numbers of the species involved.

5. How are redox reactions important in daily life?

Redox reactions play a crucial role in many everyday processes, such as metabolism, corrosion, and energy production. They are also involved in various industrial processes, such as the production of metals and batteries. Additionally, redox reactions are used in water treatment, food preservation, and many other applications.