1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Redox reacions equations

1. Aug 4, 2008 #1
    hey i'm in yr 12 chemistry in Australia and im having problems understanding redox reactions equations, i understand oxidation states and a little bit but i cant figure our about the electrons calculus, i can do the rest of the formula or steps but i cannot seem to be able to calculate the electron transfer accurately i was hoping some one would be able to help with methods or something.
    thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2008 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

4. Aug 10, 2008 #3
    thanks but that doesn't really help me calculate how to balance electrons in half equations (thats the only problem i am having)

5. Aug 10, 2008 #4
    Hi,
    I think I understand what you are having trouble with. When you are finished balancing a half-equation and lets say it looks like this:
    Au3+(aq) + 2I−(aq) -> Au(s) + I2(s)
    (3+ and - on left side are charges), so you have Au (3+) and I (2-) on left, and on right you dont have any charges as you can see. Notice that when you have a number in front like 2I, make sure you dont forget that number and see only one (-) at the top, you actually have (2-). So, now 2 out of 3 protons of Au on left will balance 2 electrons on left and you will be left with one proton (1+) on left. Then, if you want to balance electrons, you see that you have zero on right and you want same on left so you add one e- to the left to cancell the proton (+) you had left over after you balanced your equation. Same thing if you had in the end 4+ on left and 2- on right of equation you would add 6- to left to cancell 4+ and have 2- left over to balance the right side.

Hope this helps
    Jaska

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?