Number of electrons to balance redox reaction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
terryds
Messages
392
Reaction score
13

Homework Statement



What number of electrons to balance the equation
##I_2(s)+OH^-(aq)\rightarrow IO_3^-(aq)+H_2O(l)##

The Attempt at a Solution


I see that the oxidation state of I increases from 0 to +5
But, I don't see any reduction at the reaction..
So, I don't understand how to balance the reaction
And I don't know how to get the number of required electrons to balance the reaction
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no reduction because this is only a half reaction, where electrons are listed as a reagent. Just like Fe(II) to Fe(III) oxidation can be written as

Fe2+ → Fe3+ + e-
 
Borek said:
There is no reduction because this is only a half reaction, where electrons are listed as a reagent. Just like Fe(II) to Fe(III) oxidation can be written as

Fe2+ → Fe3+ + e-

So, the number of electron required to balance the equation is 5 electron, right? Since the oxidation state increases by 5
 
Borek said:
No, it is not that easy. First, balance atoms - they are not balanced at the moment. After that, add enough electrons to balance the charge. See examples here: http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=balancing-stoichiometry&right=half-reactions-method

Don't look at oxidation numbers at all.

Balance all atoms
##I_2(s)+12OH^-(aq)\rightarrow 2IO_3^-(aq)+6H_2O(l)##charges in left : -12
charges in right: -2

So, there should be 10 electrons added to the right side of reaction, right??