Reduction of ester and amide with LiAlH4

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter duchuy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reduction
In summary, both the ester and the amide are possible with LiAlH4. The APTS stands for "acide paratoluène sulfonique."
duchuy
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
1640510590707.png

Hi, I am trying to solve number 8. At 7, I have a molecule that contains both an amide and ester function. So when I use LiAlH4, will I reduce both the ester to alcohol and the amide to secondary amine? Or just the ester?
Thank you so much for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Both are possible. What does APTS stand for in the esterification step?

Last edited:
Likes duchuy
chemisttree said:
Both are possible. What does APTS stand for in the esterification step?
I'm not quite sure for the name in english but in french it's acide paratoluène sulfonique. The formula is :
H3C-Ph-HSO3.
I also have a question regarding protecting groups. In a molecule where I have both a RCOOH, or ester and amide group, will I be able to use ethylene glycol or Corey Seeback reaction to protect one group and reduce only the other non protected group? Or protection only works for ketones and aldehydes?
And if I want to specifically reduce say for example the ester and not the amide, is there a more specific reducing agent that only targets one group and not the other like NaBH3CN?

That’s PTSA in English, or pTs-OH or TsOH.
I don’t know of any protecting groups for amides. I don’t think the Corey Seebach reaction would work with either an ester or an amide. I’ve only seen that done on aldehydes. Ethylene glycol will make a glycol ester if you are careful. Glycol esters are very easily hydrolyzed in my experience. In my hands they hydrolyze during aqueous workup. The only Fisher conditions that I’ve ever used to make them were catalyzed with Amberlite resin which didn’t require aqueous workup.
Lithium borohydride-methanol is fairly reactive to esters and not so much for secondary amides.

Likes duchuy
chemisttree said:
That’s PTSA in English, or pTs-OH or TsOH.
I don’t know of any protecting groups for amides. I don’t think the Corey Seebach reaction would work with either an ester or an amide. I’ve only seen that done on aldehydes. Ethylene glycol will make a glycol ester if you are careful. Glycol esters are very easily hydrolyzed in my experience. In my hands they hydrolyze during aqueous workup. The only Fisher conditions that I’ve ever used to make them were catalyzed with Amberlite resin which didn’t require aqueous workup.
Lithium borohydride-methanol is fairly reactive to esters and not so much for secondary amides.
Thank you so much sir! I love your dedication, and I wish you an amazing new year ahead.

1. What is the purpose of reducing ester and amide with LiAlH4?

The purpose of reducing ester and amide with LiAlH4 is to convert them into alcohols and amines, respectively. This reaction is commonly used in organic synthesis to create new compounds with different functional groups.

2. How does LiAlH4 reduce ester and amide?

LiAlH4 is a strong reducing agent that can donate electrons to the carbonyl group of ester and amide. This results in the formation of a new bond between the carbon and hydrogen atoms, converting the carbonyl group into an alcohol or amine functional group.

3. What are the key differences between reducing ester and amide with LiAlH4?

The key difference is in the final product formed. When reducing ester, the product is an alcohol, while reducing amide results in an amine. Additionally, the reaction conditions and mechanism may differ for each compound.

4. Are there any limitations to using LiAlH4 for reducing ester and amide?

Yes, LiAlH4 is a highly reactive and strong reducing agent, which can also react with other functional groups in the molecule. Therefore, careful control of reaction conditions and purification steps are necessary to obtain the desired product.

5. Can LiAlH4 also reduce other functional groups besides ester and amide?

Yes, LiAlH4 can also reduce other functional groups such as ketones, aldehydes, and nitriles. However, the reaction conditions and selectivity may vary depending on the specific functional group and reaction conditions.