Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Redundancy of Lie Group Conditions

1. Oct 29, 2013 #1
    I want to show that if [itex]G[/itex] is a smooth manifold and the multiplication map [itex]m:G×G\rightarrow G[/itex] defined by [itex]m(g,h)=gh[/itex] is smooth, then [itex]G[/itex] is a Lie group.

All there is to show is that the inverse map [itex]i(g)=g^{-1}[/itex] is also a smooth map. We can consider a map [itex]F:G×G\rightarrow G×G[/itex] where [itex]F(g,h)=(g,gh)[/itex] and its inverse is [itex]F^{-1}(x,y)=(x,x^{-1}y)[/itex]. If I show that [itex]F[/itex] is a diffeomorphism, then it should be the case that [itex]i(x)[/itex], which is the second component of [itex]F^{-1}(x,e)[/itex], is smooth.

I have found an answer online that describes [itex]F[/itex] as a very long chain of translations, but can't we simply say that [itex]F=Id_G×L_g[/itex]? And since both [itex]Id_G[/itex] and [itex]L_g[/itex] are diffeomorphisms, isn't their product be a diffeomorphism as well?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2013 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But why is L_g smooth in a Lie group if not for the fact that m is smooth?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook