Reference on Sudakov form factors

In summary, the conversation is about trying to understand terminology and concepts in LHC phenomenology, specifically sudakov form factors and related concepts like twists. The person asking the question is struggling to find understandable explanations and asks for recommendations for references. The recommended book is "Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model" by Matthew Schwartz, which briefly covers Sudakov factors and twists. However, the person responding has not read the book and is unsure if the reference will be helpful.
Sleuth
Hi everyone,

I am trying to get familiar with some of the terminology and concepts recurring more or less everywhere in LHC phenomenology. In particular, something that is troubling me a bit is the concept of sudakov form factors, which I don’t find explained anywhere in an understandable way. Connected to these, come continuously the concepts of twists, leading and subleading twists of operators etc.

I know what a sudakov log is in QED, but that’s it, I have the feeling there is an extreme simplicity that is hidden beyond and infinite amound of unintelligible nomenclature, which seems not to be explained anywhere cnsistently. Can anyone point me to some decent references not written just for people that already know what they are talking about?

Thanks a lot :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sleuth said:
Hi everyone,

I am trying to get familiar with some of the terminology and concepts recurring more or less everywhere in LHC phenomenology. In particular, something that is troubling me a bit is the concept of sudakov form factors, which I don’t find explained anywhere in an understandable way. Connected to these, come continuously the concepts of twists, leading and subleading twists of operators etc.

I know what a sudakov log is in QED, but that’s it, I have the feeling there is an extreme simplicity that is hidden beyond and infinite amound of unintelligible nomenclature, which seems not to be explained anywhere cnsistently. Can anyone point me to some decent references not written just for people that already know what they are talking about?

I know nothing about these things, and, consequently, and I do not know if the following reference is useful.

The book "Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model" by Matthew Schwartz has brief treatments of Sudakov factors in section 32.3 "Parton showers", and of twists in section 32.4.3 "Operator product expansion for DIS".

I have read some of the early chapters of Schwartz, and I like what I have seen.

1. What are Sudakov form factors?

Sudakov form factors are mathematical expressions used in quantum field theory to describe the probability of particles interacting or not interacting with each other.

2. Why are Sudakov form factors important?

Sudakov form factors are important because they play a crucial role in understanding and calculating the behavior of particles in high-energy scattering processes, such as those occurring in particle accelerators.

3. How are Sudakov form factors calculated?

Sudakov form factors are calculated using perturbation theory, which involves breaking down the interactions between particles into simpler, more manageable calculations. This allows for precise predictions of particle behavior at high energies.

4. Can Sudakov form factors be experimentally tested?

Yes, Sudakov form factors can be experimentally tested through high-energy particle collisions in experiments like the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). By comparing the experimental results to the theoretical predictions using Sudakov form factors, scientists can validate the accuracy of this mathematical concept.

5. What are some applications of Sudakov form factors?

Sudakov form factors have various applications in theoretical and experimental particle physics, including understanding the behavior of particles at high energies, precision calculations of particle interactions, and testing the validity of quantum field theories.